Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder why gyros have a bad public image?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder why gyros have a bad public image?

It is so annoying to me that newspapers and other media, call every light aircraft that crashes a gyrocopter.... we have so few accidents with gyros these days, but the public keep hearing "gyrocopter creash, gyrocopter crash" and most times it is not even a gyrocopter.... this story is from the trike that crashed into a house, the father/pilot died and his daughter (about 4) survived.... so it is not even like close to the time of the accident, this story is from months later during the daughters rehabilitation..... I am glad she is ok, I just wish that reporters and the media would at least investigate and have one or 2 actual facts?

I just don"t read newspapers anymore MM. Only the sheep masses read that crap! I read alternative news.

Comment

I heard it is usually making the news Max?

Comment

There you go mm......good job for you, start pestering them all. You don"t need the nod from asra, just sign off your mails as you.....unhappy news reader....whatever
        If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

Gents,I"ve written directly to Rebekah directly via her email address, asking her to correct the article and to educate herself on what the various types of aircraft are before committing to print. It will be interesting to see her response as I mentioned that whe might be defaming Gyrocpter pilots and ASRA in reporting incorrect facts.Wait and see.Cheers,Nic.

Comment

It is frustrating, there was a trike went into a lake near noosa a while back, big headlines and lead story all day for the 7 news "gyrocopter crashes into lake" ..... then wait all day for the news and here they pull a trike out

Comment

Get a grip you lot. >Its not just gyros be,n misrepresented in the news.Apparently everyone who looses control of their car and heads scrubwards was ina car that "ran off the road".It didnt run off the road, the f*** driver lost it.Most of the public wouldnt know the difference between a heli n gyro, or cessna and ultralite, so wot difference would it make wot they called it.

Comment

Mainly because when people hear mention of the word gyrocopter, more often than not the first thing they say is "Gyrocopters?! those dangerous things that fall out of the sky all the time?"

Comment

"Is it too much to ask that reporters at least get their facts somewhat straight before plastering it all over the media?"Apparently, yes, it is.Headlines sell papers, accuracy doesn"t. Don"t be too upset, though, they have the same level of accuracy about everything else, too.

Comment

It"s slowly changing, the current batch of turn key machines are turning heads. We"ve just gota get asra to open their coffers more, and
                    If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

Events like Avalon where all types of gyros will be and have been shown to a very large public audience are all helping. We have had for some years now have had the importers of ELA/ MTO etc etc showing their gyros at the big field days and we also have quite a few gyros regularly doing circumnavigations / trips around Australia. So far to my knowledge, not one accident has arisen from all of the above.It was only 10 years or so ago that any gyro trip had an accompanying ground crew so I believe we are on the way.....slowly yes but word of mouth is like gold compared to newspaper adds where you have to be prepared to spend a huge amount of money to get adds onto prime time TV or into prime positions in newspapers.ASRA calls for a "publicity manager" every year & anyone wanting to take it on is very welcome. As to money, if someone was to put a well thought out costing, how, where. why, I"m sure that any proposal would be eagerly received & looked at.

Comment

I would be happy to help ASRA out chopper. As a retired builder I don"t have any skills in the publicity area but I am keen, love gyros and do travel around the place a fair bit which probably puts me in the new brigade category with my " new generation" gyro. I believe there are 12 or 13 gyros going to be on display at Avalon this year with 6 or 7 of us flying down from NSW.I still have to get out to your shed one day and take a look at your gyro collection!

Comment

I would be happy to help ASRA out chopper. I don"t know Rick.E but off hand I can"t think of a better candidate for the new generation gyro"s.My vote for the "stick" gyro"s goes to MadMuz. ;D He is already investing time into this and just need to get his message out.

Comment

Hah yes -Talk about generational change, of the 12 gyros registered to go on display at Avalon 26 Feb - 1 March, 10 of them have been manufactured in overseas factories.The current roll call is 2 Cavalons (one red and one orange), 1 Calidus, 1 Magni M24, 1 ELA, 1 MTO Sport, 1 Titanium Explorer, 1 Brako, 1 "Globemaster" (Ken Norris" Kruza-based snazzy homebuilt), 1 SportCopter M912, 1 SportCopter Lightning ....... and one open frame homebuilt with a half pod.7 are flying-in, and all the paperwork and legalities for that to happen are now sorted.So - of the 12, there 2 "made in Australia" and 10 made overseas.The ASRA enclosure is gonna look like a prestige car yard this year and that"s gonna be a HUGE drawcard to the sport and recreational aircraft precinct.

Comment

Gess that ,means theres no room for a ferel?

Comment

Working...
                              X