GYRO HOURS FLOWN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GYRO HOURS FLOWN

I would like to make a suggestion regarding subscription to this forum.And that is; all contributors to this forum could have, as part of their profile, the number of hours flown as pilot in command of a gyroplane. This could be an optional space on each persons profile.Just an idea....any comments? Hoges

Good idea Hoges. I would make it "logged hours" though rather than just "hours" simply because "guessed" or "assumed" hours are generally up to 10 times logged hours. This would be no problem because all gyronauts know that they must keep an up to date logbook. (He He he!)It would also give the new chum something on which to guage the experience of the writer.Tim McClure

Comment

that would be about time id recon, takes a while for a new fella to work out who's worth listenin to.

Comment

Hours flown can be a bit missleading too tho.I know a couple o people who could land on a dime within 20 hours everytime, and others with supposedly thousands of hours who couldn't.[ IOW, after thousands of hours they still couldn't make the machine do wot they wanted it to, and if they'v never pushed the limits, then their authority to talk but "fly'n" could be misslead'n if its only based on hours]It mite help to indicate wot sorta fly'n has been done too.[Airobatic or just putt'n round the country side at a thousand feet.]If I'm out step ere, just tell me to git back in me hole.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

Tim, Birdy and Hoody,I'm happy with logged hours, and type as well. It would probably tend to differentiate the sorts of 'clay' that was spoken about.Hoges

Comment

I suggested this ages ago and so support this idea again. It should be mandatory in the profile, but tossers will still lie! Lets hope that good old fashioned honesty will shine through.Da Vinci had all the theory in the world, but didn't fly. Tim, tell them all about the fella's you know and their hours. Made me feel really inadequate. Regards Ken

Comment

Hi Ken,See you tommorrow, maybe late AM if you´re around.Look out for the yella terra. Hoges[]

Comment

Ken, Tim, Birdy, Hoody and all interested,I would like to propose a referendum on the matter.All those in favour of adding an ´Hours Logged´ section to the ´User Profile´ please step forward and raise your digital hand.That is, respond in the affirmative or negative.... Yea or Ney.Hoges

Comment

Why not just stick logged hours in the 'hobbies' section of our profiles for now and see if it catches on? Dave

Comment

This idea can't hurt and may be of help to those who are impressed by numbers. What about Chuck E., who springs to mind quickly, not many gyro flying hours, but I respect what the man has to say because of his experience in other flying machines.I used to spend time with Bert Larkin when still living up in NQ. This man has forgotten more than the average gyro-nut ever hopes to learn. I listened to everything he had to say, a great gentleman. I would go to him and say this and that happened to me the other day and I would get a complete explination why this and that happened. Now I'm not sure if Bert even knows how many hours he has flown, but he is the sort of people we need here. Always ready to listen and help if he can.I was getting a new set of rotors off Bert every year, to some that says I'm a hopeless gyro flyer. To me, I push to the limits in all that I do, I have been critisized by many for this but I probably wont change. When my son and I would go out in the dirt on our bikes, if we had not fallen off many times through the day then we were not trying hard enough to get better.As was said, someone might have 1000's of hours flying around at altitude sedately and some may fly at 10' working, so who am I going to listen too?Just my early morning take on things.Graeme.

Comment

Yea.I take up Birdy's point about types of flying, also conditions (ie. fair weather pilot or all weather pilot). Trouble is that these "qualifications" are hard to measure compared to logged hours.Tim McClure

Comment

Yea from me,I think rounded down to the nearest fifty hours would probably be Ok with me. If someone is flying regularly, you´d have to be changing the numbers all the time otherwise.Say, if you had 127.5 hours you could say 100 plus hours. Or, 165 hours would be 150 plus hours. Just and indication of flight time.Under 50 hours the number could rounded to the nearest lower 10, say. Type of flying could be optional but leave a space for it somewhere on the profile if it is to be redisigned one day. Dave B´s idea is a good start I reckon, and I´ve started the ball rolling.Any other thoughts?Hoges

Comment

I know salesmen that drive 100,000 miles a year and also know race cars drivers that dont drive 10,000 miles a year! Some airline pilots have really thick log books but couldnt tell you much about how to build or fly a gyro. I dont think flying hours tells the whole story or is even close. Just my two cents![]Flying the right side up in Canada

Comment

Both gyro hours logged and other aircraft hours logged sounds like a good idea coming form a guy who doesn't know many of the personalities on this forum, and will be another way to access the writer's credentials. How and when do we get it off the ground?Pete

Comment

Pete, why not stick logged hours in your own profile now? Those that support the idea of others doing the same, put a line in their signature to encourage that we all do it? This way the idea will spread as people post.Non invasive, voluntary and requiring no technical changes in the forum by the webmaster. If it catches on something else can be sorted out later.Those that won't post hours, probably don't fly as much as their advice might suggest. If they are instead engineers or have built 50 gyros, let them put that in the profile.The story will tell itself.Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X