Gearboxes .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearboxes .

Butch, whats the weight of the Autoflight or Sub 4 gearbox ? Do you have any ideas of hours with a Suby 2.2 driving it ? and can you get it with a 2.62 ratio ? I think you said Rusty had nearly 4000 hours up without a problem but I reckon he's only got a EA 81 driving it. I have heard of a 2 seater with a EA 81 driving a Rotax C or E box that has similiar hours without any problems !!I have had plenty of problems with my C box despite flying as conservatevly as possible. The main problems have been the 20 cent seals on the main shaft giving up after only a few hours to leaking after 150 hours and its starting to annoy me no end having to pull the gearbox apart frquently just to replace THAT seal.Has anyone else had a similiar problem and been able to cure the problem ?Brian

Brian Rusty had a SUB4 110hp but that is with the small box the EJ22 box has bigger bearings & gears they wheigh about 11kg Next time doing seals on Cbox take out spring seal tensioner find join undo like a thred cut 2.5-3mm out of it will stop leak this is with new seals not the old ones 2.4-1 should be close enough Butch

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Butch S.Brian Rusty had a SUB4 110hp but that is with the small box the EJ22 box has bigger bearings & gears they wheigh about 11kg Next time doing seals on Cbox take out spring seal tensioner find join undo like a thred cut 2.5-3mm out of it will stop leak this is with new seals not the old ones 2.4-1 should be close enough ButchNow that is smart thinking Butch!!!!Aussie Paul. []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Thanks for the info re the gearbox. A couple more questions, are the backing plates and stub shaft available and how much are they ? 11 kg's is pretty hefty compared to the C box.Will try your tip for the seal next time. So obvious a solution !!! Amazing!Thanks !Brian

Comment

This is a test..Barry Ferguson of AATI has these Hirth G40 and G50 gear boxes for sale, you could buy one of them... and no, I haven't been sponsored to put this here, nor did I pay for it!And yes, I'm a cheeky SOB!Cheers,Nick.

Comment

11kg all up no stub shaft just light flywheel rubber coupling & inputshaft this isn't that much heavyer than castiron flywheel & adaptor parts for Cbox will post more accurat wheights later Butch

Comment

Butch - I used a set of bathroom scales to roughly weigh the autoflight. With the adapter plate and starter on and it came to about 15kg - not sure how accurate the scales are but wouldn't imagine they'd be far outSafe Flying ... ding Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment

Comment

Nick, I'm not all that sure that the Hirth is much if any stronger than the Rotax.[based on my limited knowledge]Ding, the starter is also on the Rotax box too so its weight doesnt come into the calculations. The flywheel certainly does though. The heavier flywheel is needed for the Rotax boxes. I would imagine the adapter plate would weigh much the same regardless of which box you used. Interesting that the autoflight doesnt need a flywheel!!Brian

Comment

Brian, the Hirth G40 (110hp)is a much stronger box than the "C". I never touched mine for over 500 hours training mounted to an ej-22 and an 120 hp ej-20. I paid the price for not changing the oil often enough by having to replace the small cog at a bit over 500 hours.Interesting that the autoflight doesnt need a flywheel!!I found with Neils box when he was Sub4, that the flywheel was too light for a smooth idle. I probably noticed the difference going from the 5 kg flywheel we ran with the Hirth. I got him to send me a heavier one and I was much happier.Maybe some of the Sub4 engine problems are related to lack of sufficient flywheel weight??Aussie Paul. []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Thanks Paul wish I had read this when you first posted it as I have just started investigating the merits of a heavier flywheels will ring you soon Butch S.

Comment

Has any body had anything to do with the boxes from the Suzuki mob at SpringWood in QLD they sell Reduction Drives to suit Soobs and Suzuki"s and say they are rated to 180 HP. They have a link on the Geoff"s site.Rob

Comment

Rob,I think they are the SPG2 box. I seem to recall they are Russian. They have been heavily flogged by a dude named Vassili (sp?) in the States. He sells adapter kits for EA & EJ. I"m fairly sure the Qld mobs site links to his. (All from memory, which is failing daily). CheersFred

Comment

http://www.suziauto.com/aero1.htmRegards Sam...........

Comment

Yeah thanks was just wondering how many are in use on gyros in australia if any?Sam, got the strobe last week and set it up works well, thanksRob

Comment

They appear to only have the small rotax pcd and flange with drive being through the bolts not drive dowels ,so I doubt they are ideal for 180 hp and unless they are significantly cheaper than a Rossco Cbox

Comment

Working...
                              X