Instrument Pod Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument Pod Layout

I am setting up my instrument pod for the two seater trainer and this is the configeration I have come up with. Any helpful comments or suggestions is requested before I begin would be appreciated. The pod is located in centre front with student in right hand seat.Image Insert: 59.8 KBPeteBairnsdale,Vic.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Pete,I'm still early hours but this is my reckoning:The two things I tend to look at most are the Tacho and the air speed, then the Rotor Tach. I think I've had a look at the VSI once... Occasionally I look at the altimeter too see which way it is going or if it is steady, this is followed closely by engine instrumentation, temperature and oil pressure principally, seeing as these are the two health signs of greatest import, followed by voltage.For a student the trending knowledge of rotor speed is very useful, so one of them would be handy for take off and taxiing and this is what students are mainly about - safe landings and take offs, I would have one of them in lieu of a VSI, since your VSI is intimated by the Altimeter and the sudden on rush of the ground when on approach for landing. Place the ASI closest to the student, flying is mainly about airspeed.Hope this helps.Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Hi Nick, Good points. I was out walking the dog just on dark thinking about the instument layout and the omision of a rotor tacho jumped out at me also. I have revised the layout to suit but have kept the vsi as I will also be flying it for pleasure and rather like knowing its rate of climb. I have adjusted the pod accordingly and would appreciate furter constructive comments.Image Insert: 57.68

Comment

Hi Dave, Thanks for your comments. The student/passenger will have to take the right seat in my gyro configeration as the throttle is attached to the left side of each 60 liter tank, and I sure want to have control over both of them which I can from the left seat. The joysticks will not obscure vision to either seat and you will see that I have adjusted the instrument layout which should take your other comments into consideration. Please feel free to jump in again if you wish to add to this as I have a few days before this bit comes together.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Ok Pete,I'd still move your switches and things down the bottom and put the instruments as high as they will go. If you have several keys on a ring with the ignition key they will dangle down over the ASI. I'd have the rotor tach where the ignition key now is.Personally I regret not having a compass up the top on my own setup. When learning Nav without a GPS and for runway directions it would be very useful. The hour meter doesn't even need to be in the panel if space is short. Where as if the fuses are the push type they would have priority.The gaps between say the VSI/tacho ASI/tach might be a good place for switches like fuel pump. I have my own strobe wired direct to the master, so if thats on the strobe is on. BTW do you have a master switch?Given the curves in the panel you might consider loosing one of the four supports of the outside instruments so you can get them up in the corners.I write a few frequencies down on paper on the panel as its seems a bit of the old brain gets left on the ground. (Handy when you can't take an ERSA) A place for this again on the sides might be useful along with the rego on a little placard for radio calls by your students.I should really fix my own panel before saying anything. That why on reflection I deleted the last post. All I wanna do is fly after a long drive to the airfield. []Dave Image Insert:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by daveb (Handy when you can't take an ERSA)Dave you put the ERSA on the seat beside you, along with maps and coffee thermos.[]Pete, my instrument pod turned up yesterday and will look great in Firebird I reckon.Here it is in the mock up cabin.Aussie Paul.[]Image Insert: 64.84 KBImage Insert: 67.98 KBwww.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Pete, i'v found [ on other's machines] that hav'n the prerotater button on the pod is a pain in the ***.If your instructing off a short strip, teachn short TOs or prerotating in a strong wind it means you gota take your hand off either the stick or the throttle, neither is a good thing if the airs a bit gusty and/or from the side.I'v rearanged a couple of machines for blokes that do alota short TOs and moved the button so's its within reach of a finger or thumb on either the stick or throttle.[ it can be held on till you break ground] A simple PTT switch will suffice, it's only activating the solinoid and the one on the ferel throttle hasn't faltered for years.If ya paranoid bout bumpn the button when in the air, it will only make a noise, it won't engauge. But a symple isolating toggle switch[ turned off after TO] will prevent it from be'n accidently activated while ina air.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.birdy, here.

Comment

Thanks Dave, Paul and David, your comments provided before even a cut is made is just the sort of stuff I need to help make my panel as good as I can get it and student friendly.Dave B, I'm coming around fast to your way of thinking and will remove the fuses into a separate box to allow for re-arranging of the switches to the bottom.Birdy you have a good point re the pre-rotator and I am now thinking a multi button joystick for pre-rotator and radio may be the answer. Anyone know where to get one that will do the job?Paul, the instrument pod is a champion one (thanks Sam for the leg-work) and does look great and fits beautifull inside the firebird cabin.I have been fibreglassing the two sides of my pod together today into a fattened up version of my single seater pod. If my geometry is correct, I will still end up with the wonderful feeling whilst flying of being in and part of the elements without actually being cold. Both my current single seaters have achieved that and I have used the same measurement from pod and windscreen to seat in the two seater. I am paying particular attention to this aspect as I once owned a Thruster ultralight and I learnt if the screen is too far forward of the pilot it is worse than no screen at all and is very cold and uncomfortable all times of the year. My set-up allows me to fly all year round with no more than a jumper.I will have another go at re-arranging and post it for comment.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Pete, you may consider the possibility that you might want to fit some sort of radio in the panel at a later date. The section at the top seems to be made for that.Tim McClureBroken Hill

Comment

Hi Tim, The radio and intercom are sorted - fitting into a pivoting arm that attaches to one side of the instrument pod while the gps attaches via the complimentary pivoting arm to the other side. Same system I have in one of my existing gyros which works well and doesn't take up room and just swivels down and away when not needed.Set up the instrument pod in its likely position this morning and the gyro pod surrounding it and it thank goodness it seems it will all fit in. Got fibreglassing and now have one complete gyro pod instead of bits. One thing did come out of it when I managed to squeeze in the seat is the need to keep the asi up real high so I will be having another go at arranging the instruments. Will keep you posted.Lastly can anyone put me onto a cyclic handle that has two buttons for radion and pre-rotator?PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Lastly can anyone put me onto a cyclic handle that has two buttons for radion and pre-rotator?Pete, did a quick search .. try this:-http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...stolstick.htmlDave

Comment

Thanks Dave. After having a look I think I will just get out the wood lathe and turn a couple up.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

G'Day Pete.When I set mine up, my concept was, nav gear up top, followed by flight instruments, then engine instro's.All other swithches eg. masters, pre-rotator, fuses, light, strobe, radio, aux fuel pump, and isolator, are all located on a box on my left side of my seat along with my throttle, and all within reach.The box also offers extra mechanical protection. I planned it this way as reaching the instrument pod in flight would be somewhat difficult.P.S I use my VSI almost as much as my ASI as it tells me what min rpm I require for straight and level flight, also best climb speed, and how much back stick for a level co-ordinated turn.When climbing to those higher altitudes, it is a quick reference for me, to see what the gyro is doing, climbing/decending.RegardsInsert:[/b] 61.17

Comment

Valid points Sam, problem is that students typically operate within the 300 - 500' scheme, not the 2k + feet seen on your machine, do you think this has a bearing on what they see?Cheers,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

NickI remember when I was learning, I found it difficult to know what the machine was doing, and was continually told to feel the machine.If the student struggles with that then at least he can see what is going on.A VSI would be a simple tool an instructor could use to help a student understand how speed and attitude work together, in an open machine. Anyone who has flown an open machine has always at sometime experienced the difficulty of lacking any visual reference to adjust his machines attitude to the horrizon, for level flight.This is one of the reasons PIO was common in open machines.With experience this all become easy and routine.Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

Working...
                              X