Gyro v Heli in the gyro news.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyro v Heli in the gyro news.

Just got me gyro news [ yes, the mail camels are getn slower] and the artical bout the gyro in the heli downwash is kinda puzzleing.Iv worked alot with helis, and yes, it wouldnt be real smart to fly through its DW, IF it was hovering.As i read the story, the gyro was taken off and a heli passed over it.Well, it musta been VERY close to have such an effect ona gyro, at climb out speed.Once the heli has exceaded its "transition" speed, theres buggerall down wash. And a R22 or even a bell 47 is well outa the lower side of the transition speed at 40KTS.I woulda been more wurried bout the blind heli pilot than the effects of his down wash.Not sayn it didnt happen, just find it difficult to believe.

Hmmm, was hopen for a little enightenment on this one.

Comment

Hang on Birdy.... I"ll go get me torch

Comment

What you need a torch for? your a bright spark anyway. ;D Des Garvin

Comment

Hmmm, was hopen youd do the enighten" on this one Birdy.Graeme.

Comment

How could i enlighten, ima dumb cow grower miles away from the incident. Dumb as i mite be, i do know that the 2 machines would have to have been orrible close for the heli to make the gyro go neg.BTW, with that sorta proximity, it dont have to be a heli, to have the same effect.

Comment

If a blind chopper came that close on top of me I"d probably sh$t myself, dump stick forward to avoid him, going neg g.

Comment

The heli would be in the rong, so your within your rites to shoot first.

Comment

If a blind chopper came that close on top of me I"d probably sh$t myself, dump stick forward to avoid him, going neg g.That could be closer to the truth than you realize !!I have had a jetranger fly directly overhead but he was approximately 250 /300 feet obove me and it was no accident as he put his shadow right on me and for that second or two, I froze !

Comment

Why?Was it a cold day? ;D

Comment

Why?Was it a cold day? ;DWell, it was reasonably warm day up until that particular moment. I was in a part of Australia where there are very few aircraft so I wasnt expecting company and if you ever do find company, its not good as they are usually a bit bigger than me. and most likely down low as well.

Comment

Yes Brian, The other day I was buzzing around at about 20 feet through the trees, but I had a warm feeling in my seat when I looked up and saw a little fixed wing about 70 feet above me!Mark.

Comment

Comment

It was nearly a cartridge of some sort! :-

Comment

jet Ranger overhead! Other than sh!@#ng bricks what would you do to avoid the inevitable down wash assuming time permitted..

Comment

Working...
                              X