Starting rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting rotors

If you are hand starting rotors, or using a pre rotator, especially if there is significant wind, it is very important what direction you have the machine pointing in relation to the wind. A lot of people think that pointing the front of the machine into the wind, however, from my experience, this isn"t always the best idea. As you start to hand spin, the advancing blade travelling slowly at this point climbs easily, therefore the retreating blade equally takes a low rotation. This happening, the retreating blade is taking a low sweep at the rear of the machine, which makes its ark at its rearmost travel very close to the tail and prop, if any hinging were to occur, the tail clearance may become nil (or worse) and the risk of a tail strike is a great possibility

It don"t matter which direction you point it, the blades will still teeter excessively if you feed too much too quick.The correct way is point it into the wind, start hand spin,n with the stick full forward and slightly left.This will give the blades close to 0 lift all round the disc.Once you"ve gotn them as fast as your go,n to, ease the stick back and gradually center it laterally, comen to the backstop both in pitch n roll at the same time. This keeps teetering to a minimum.Haven the wind up its nose means it won"t get tipped over if you feed it too much, or f*** it up sum other way I haven"t thort of.

Comment

Comment

Good thread.So Birdy"s way is said to give about the same lift all the way around.

Comment

Glad to see you noticed Disco. Yes, that"s a typo.I posted this reply then went back out to camp.I must be bored, coz flyn out I wundered, " did I say left or rite", sure enuf, my dislexia wun out agin.Yes, full forward and rite,Two reasons.1 as the rotor sweeps over the tail, it"s flyn down, by the time it gets to 3 o"clock, it"s at it"s lowest point and unlikely to generate much lift.2 if you have too little rite stick and it teeters to the stops, you have plenty of room to correct before it pushes the head against the left stop.Same reason why you don"t spin up rotors with the stick on the backstop before they are flying. If a gust catches you off guard, there"s no room for the head to move.Also, it pays to setup the head with a coupla degrees of forward stick past flat, specialy if strong winds are your idea of good air, both for spin,n up n spin,n down.My stick lock holds the stick full forward (-2*) and bout 4* left! and I park it with the wind to the left side.I can land, shut off, lock the stick and walk away, without any issues of excessive teetering no matter how fast they are spin,n or how strong the wind is. They just slow down, but never stop till the wind stops, or I stop them.

Comment

Working...
          X