Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RossM
    commented on 's reply
    I would not have thought that some very tall trees existed out where ' Rusty ' flew.
    Last edited by RossM; 02-11-2016, 08:21 PM.

• tonydenton
    replied
    struth so he picked a tree with a ladder down . , bloody talented pilot I'd say tim. . I never heard about that one.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    A very "Rusty" pilot had an engine out over some dense tall timber many moons ago. He gave a mayday then chose the softest looking tall tree and flared out on top of it. It minced its way down somewhat before coming to a standstill, still some 40ft or so in the air. He got a couple of scratches from the branches while climbing down.

Leave a comment:

• RickE
    replied
    Originally posted by RossM View Post
    Ask Waddles about landing (falling from the sky) into water. Especially cold Tasmanian

http://forum.asra.org.au/forum/accid...ident-tasmania
    I was going to bring that one up as well Ross.

Leave a comment:

• tonydenton
    replied
    yeah birdy I honestly believe it was on my right side, must of been because everything worked out text book. [ if there was a text book for it ]
    I was trying to say that I never got to chose what happened , it eventually turned out that way. but that way would be how I would put it into trees again [ obviously I never would want it ]
    I never was flying low either , my troubles started up 800 ft high and when I was cutting trees, the engine was still running, but that's another story for another post. but one that It would be safe to say is why I have been fairly vocal in wanting our forum back.
    it's a great place to learn and also therefore helps with safety , and that has got to be a good thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• RossM
    replied
    Ask Waddles about landing (falling from the sky) into water. Especially cold Tasmanian water.

http://forum.asra.org.au/forum/accid...ident-tasmania

Leave a comment:

• jumeau
    replied
    The late Sid Hill put a machine down in a swamp at Newcastle by pan caking it down after an engine out,lucky for him the water was only 3 feet deep,he kept the rotors flat with just his head and shoulders sticking out above the soup,the other one I know of the pilot decked it in the shallow edge of Lake Macquarie,machine done the usual thing,destroyed itself without the dust and pinned him underneath in shallow water,a young guy who watched all this saved him in time,years later the same pilot done some floatplane endorsement training in Alaska/Canada where he said the instructor used to unclip his belt on landing approach,jury is out on that one for me but who knows how to react,every situation is different and after the mess in hindsight is easy to come up with an answer that might of worked,myself the old pilots bible says don't fly over what you can't land on ( if possible)hence pilots who look like they're pissed flying everywhere other than straight are reading their pilots bible occasionally

Leave a comment:

• birdy
    replied
    If you know your go,n over, and hava choise, choose right side.
    The right blade will hit the trees, ground, water first and stop, the other blade will keep headn backwards, dragn everythn with it.
    Better n haven it all rapped round ya head.

Leave a comment:

• tonydenton
    replied
    hello west oz and rick, I have done some extensive trails on landing in trees. [ just once actually ] I can personally recommend the following .
    [1] try not to do it !!!
    [2] but if you have no choice, do not fly in with any air speed, as it's all speed and contact with an object that won't move so it's always gunna hurt !!!
    stopping near all your air speed or any forward speed, so that you drop, a drop is a fast sink , your rotors are still turning and therefore your in a fast sink this should be started as near as to the tops of the tress as possible, so that you have got as close to the inevitable, the firstly the trees first and secondly the ground.
    if there are tall trees and low trees, pick low trees, they are closer to the ground because after you hit the trees it's called a crash. [ this is about surviving the crash in the trees . believe me it's a crash.
    I was lucky as it was over an orchard and the trees were in rows , luckily I also know , don't drop on top of a tree "up your butt", as you want to stay as level as for as long as, which means your closer to the ground, but once your rotors are destroying themselves and cutting timber at the same time your gyro will be thrown around and over , so best dropping it beside a tree or trees [ remembering here that the trees aren't far enough apart for you to fit and your rotors not touch any of the trees ]
    when it gets thrown over onto the side what's left of the rotors are also hopefully hitting the ground [ all this rotor contact is breaking your fall and making for a softer landing [ sorry crash ].
    being on your side now , it's going to be one of your main frame wheels will hit the ground and crumple your struts [ I had a fibreglass spar and it was a major asset for this , more crashing as they break the fall too. .
    THE LAST LITTLE BIT WOULD OF HURT MORE DOING A BELLY FLOP ONTO WATER..
    this was an Australian type design open frame , built strong with a Gerry 70 lt tank. last part is just keep your arms and legs in and relax. I still fly with the same seat tank. yep bloody life saver. the gyro was wrecked totally flattened . I never got a scratch , wallet was bleeding profusely thou.
    a couple of regrets, I cut down 2 good citrus trees, right beside a completely dead one. 1 would of only had to paid for 1 if I cut the dead tree. actually the bloke didn't mind as I knew him. and he was glad I was ok. ME TOO.
    I never really planned it all that way AND I'M NOT SAYING THAT IT WILL WORK FOR ANYONE ELSE BUT THAT ALL WORKED FOR ME .!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think about it often as i'm not one for flying high, but if I was unlucky enough [ or stupid enough ] that it happened again that will be the way I would attack it.
    I do a lot more zigg zagging around tiger country now, although that wasn't what caused it . that's another story.

Leave a comment:

• RickE
    replied
    As I fly in a similar area to you I have thought about this as well. I reckon I would try and land as close as possible to the water's edge so as the machine might be recoverable. The problem that I see with landing in trees is the inevitable fall out of the tree after the "landing".
    It's a very interesting subject and would be also be keen to hear of anyone that may have been through it.

Leave a comment:

• WEST OZ FLYER
    started a topic Emergency landing options

Emergency landing options

Here is the senario. I fly from a place which after take off has nothing but big trees or lots of water. As I am flying along I am thinking about options should the engine flame out. To leave to the airstrip I follow the river as I think that landing in the water is better than landing in the trees. My solution (to everything it seems) is to vertical into the water, allow the blades to stop when they hit the water and then bail out. As I fly a side by side Rossco there will be not a cabin to hinder my escape. it has been suggested to me to roll the gyro to the right to stop the blades but I wonder how much you will get thrashed around as the blades hit the water. When do you undo your seat belt? And the tree thing. Vertical into the top of the largest tree available or a gap if the gyro will fit?

Has anyone been there, done that and would like to share senarios? Anyone have any ideas on what they would do in the situation.
Working...
X