wind powered generators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wind powered generators.

I have been thinking for a while of the efficiency of our rotor disc to compared that of the tradional wind powered generator design blades that we all know. 3 blades standing vertical. they obviously work, huge and all around the world . I have even seen smaller ones still the same concept, just smaller . for just powering a generator how does that compare to our rotor disc tilted back . ours start to spin easy, sometimes even with the breeze blowing onto the top of them will make them start to spin. because our disc is say at 10 deg for round figures and the wind is hitting the disc over a longer [or larger and longer disc area] is that more efficient than the wind just passing through the vertical blades in an instance ? we don"t have enough wind here that it warrant it but it"s interesting thou.

What an interesting concept. The wind vain would need to be designed to remain clear of the rotor at all times and the angle of attack into the wind of the blades would need a bit of research but I would imagine that a quite large generator could be driven off this style of power collector. Put it in a sizable clearing and it probably would not have to be that far off the ground allowing regular maintenance as well. Time to tinker in the shed I think.

Comment

I was thinking that probably the trickiest part was to be actually driving a generator down through the rotor head, but it still had to be able to have full movement, to catch the wind in any direction and work to it"s maximum efficiency.[ tilted at it"s best angle ] .with this design in mind does anyone know whether a gyro style rotors are more powerful than the traditional 3 bladed wind powered generators on the market.there would be no point in doing it if the off the shelf units were the most efficient.

Comment

G"day Tony, This sounds very serious. Are you going wind farming ?

Comment

G"day boys.Gyro rotors are also the most efficient when the whole disc is vertical. That is they spin harder and develop more power when the wind is coming in perpendicular to the disc. The trouble is the "lift" they develop is also perpendicular to the tip plane axis and as such horizontal which is no good to a gyro.The ~ 9 degree disc angle is a compromise between driving power and lift.Wind turbines are a very technical scientifically designed blade to optimise their power generation at right angles to the wind with the least lift (drag) as is consistent with maintaining good power output.Gyro rotors will work as a wind generator, but would not be nearly as efficiently. This is mainly due to the limitations of ease of manufacturing and cost, and the fact that most are manufactured in small scale by back yard operators with little or no financial, scientific and/or technical back up.Of course there are some exceptions.

Comment

thanks tim. scratch that one off the bucket list then.

Comment

Hi Tony (yes I know I should be in the shed looking at your helmet - I"ve had a hard day dealing with d1ckheads >)Anyway about 3 years ago a guy over here in Fremantle (W.A.) invented a horizontal wind turbine that sat on the apex of his roof. We have effectively 3 winds over here - the Fremantle doctor which is a strong (av 20kts)summer afternoon sea breeze, a straight westerly and an easterly which usually hits in the evening as a land breeze and blows strongly in the hills dissipating as it hits the coastal plains. So with the timing of our winds (we don"t hold the international wind surfing comps over here for no good reason!) we have a marvelous opportunity to generate some serious power.As usual - Aussies don"t believe in our own people and he sold the rights to the Chinese who have obviously sat on it for 3 years.The effect of the sloping roofs over here (23-26 degrees if my memory serves me correctly) effectively concentrates that flow onto the apex. And of course if the wind changes direction to the opposite side then the wind vane is still able to collect it. The secret of course is having a roof apex which faces north/south (or thereabouts).this in combination with solar power would put a real dent in power bills.We (in WA) have just staved off an attempt by the state govt to half the solar rebate to people who out of their own pockets (well with some contribution by the state govt) have installed solar systems. It got to the point where enough people screamed at their local members who would have been forced to cross the floor in parliament and stop the arrogant premier. A couple of years ago our govt (as probably did other states) were all politically fired up for clean power. Never mind the maintenance costs being borne by the home owner to get the govt out of the **** to replace and upgrade their decaying infrastructure by generating and distributing the power locally. It has saved the sods millions and got them their "green tick". The real problem from the point of view of the home owners will be a few years down the track when the capacitors in the inverter systems start to dry out and fail. This will have a significant replacement and repair cost and probably at a time when the system has still not have payed for itself.

Comment

I"ve played around with wind generators for 20 yrs. using crashed gyro parts, ect. with limited results, knowing if I had any brains I could have purchased an efficient one, however it"s fun trying to "re-invent the wheel"

Comment

you have put thought into it as always max, just get past the bla bla bla stuff and tell me where the 3 female crew fit into the power generating design. are they nationatelly specific like last time ? I like your idea better mine.

Comment

If my dream comes true Tony, I"ll invite you on a cruise. I will need some help as my work load will be quite hectic specially trying to keep my "crew" entertained ;D

Comment

god your a funny bugger max.

Comment

Come on Tony, you shouldn"t look a gift horse in the mouth !!! Maybe Max is feeling sorry for the " old grey headed ", that could explain the invitation to help with ( Duties).

Comment

Just had a flash back to about 35 yrs. ago I was sailing on Whangerai habour NZ on my fathers ferrow cement yacht and another yacht cruised passed propelled by what looked like vertically mounted helicopter rotor-blades. I was informed that he was a local engineer and the boat could sail straight into the wind. I assume the blades were specially designed for the job. Moral of the story: Follow your dreams. Anything is possible!

Comment

max, is that the design like in the movie water world. kevin Costner only had 1 f/male crew. but then he was half fish. ???? that just makes one wonder what is really out there. the wind powered I mean ????? chook has nearly fixed my radio how is your engine going.????????

Comment

Mechanical sails are not so romantic Tony. (thats why you need a 3 woman crew to compensate) ;D Yep just like K. Costners boat. I have removed my electronics from my EJ25 and ordered a Micro-tech system due to arrive any day. I will install the Moloney system to another engine and continue tests later. Just want to go long distance flying in the kruiser cabin gyro. -- Life is a checker board of days and nights, gyro flights and destiny, like pieces we play. We check, we mate, we slay, then back to the closet we lay.

Comment

Working...
                              X