rotor blades and the way they work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotor blades and the way they work

if a longer hub bar is made to be as strong or stronger than the guts and leadin edge of the rotor, wouldn't this be safe?? if only the outside portion of the rotor creates the lift would a long hub bar and short rotor be more or less ificient??would it be better to have a small 1-2ft hub bar, 4-5 ft of rotor at a steeper angle then another bar out to 3-4 ft of rotor at the usual angle??is this the reason for a reverse tapered rotor???(yep, still goin mad in the shed lookin at a gyro i cant fly yet[B)], sorry[:I])

HoodyYou have lost me with the reverse tapperd rotors.As Pauline would say "Please explain"Sam. [?]

Comment

sam, part of the reason i asked is im lost with the idea of tapered rotors too.to quote, "Today with Hybrid with a 75kg student, me at 92kg and 60 liters fuel we were cruising 55 kts at 4400. Hybrid weighs within a kilo or two of 300kg. I have Robs tapered, thinning and negative twisted 30' blades.Aussie Paul."and,Yesterday and today I had a chance to fly Bill Drewery's (thanks Bill) 28' AK blades on Hybrid. I flew them with my usual testing weight and also with a 75 kg passenger. I normally operate Patroney 30' tapered, thinning, and negatively twisted blades.Birdy, could you tell me what your 28' AKs rotor rpm is with 2 people in your Raf Also what is the new empty weight with the 914 fitted Thanks.Aussie Paul.

Comment

just a thought,as most of the strength required is for the weight the centrifical force created by the rotor outside it, if a longer hub bar is made to be as strong or stronger than the guts and leadin edge of the rotor, wouldn't this be safer?? there fore alowing four smaller (say 2-6 ft) sections of rotor together with a long hub bar at the centre and small joining bars that allow for the different angles required by the inner sections (creating rotation) and outer sections (exchanging rotational velocity for lift). Image Insert: 10.73 KBthere would be a limitless amount of combinations of rotor lengths and angles of incedence to air that could be utilised for performance.

Comment

Hoody "A" plus for thinking outside the square.As to a multi-adjustable inner and outer blade ????????(Tapered, thinning and negative twisted blades).If you consider a prop, you will find that it has taperd thinning and negative twisted blades, but this is to ensure the thrust generated along its blade lengths is uniform and equal.When consider the blades of our rotors, as far as I am aware, they are straight and flat with no twist, or washout.But during flight the inner section flies at a geater angle of attack, compared to the outer part of the blade, therefore acheiving the same effect.Washout is great in aircraft wings as it allows the wing tips to remain flying while the main lifting area of the wing may have already stalled. This aids in stall control. But to much washout, in turbulent air can be very dangerous, as tucking could occure.Hope this helps SamL. []Image Insert: 21.78

Comment

Working...
          X