Rotax "C" box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotax "C" box

Gday Guys is anyone using a "C"box on a Car engine and only using a flex plate insted of a flywheel.If so what type engine and how many hours have you loged on it and what problems have you hadPete

G'day, and welcome Peter. What is the 3 cylinder Suzuki you are using in your biplane?Aussie Paul. []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Peter, I used a "C" box on the first Suzuki that I have converted. It was 3 cyl 660cc K6A engine and was roughly equivalent to a 912, with a little more power and a little more weight. I started with the flex plate but the engine was too harsh and would only break above a fast idle with a very light prop. I turned a bit of weight off the manual flywheel and fitted it and the problem was solved. Actually I lied, it was not a "C" box I fitted but an "E", to take advantage of the light weight electric starter. The starter had no problem swinging the engine over at normal cranking speed. The engine performed very well in the Gyro.I am now converting a 4 cyl. 1000cc (K10A) Suzuki engine, with an installed weight 34 lbs lighter than an EA81 Subary and with more horsepower. I have lightened the flywheel a little more, hoping that the 4 cylinder will be smoother, with smoother firing pulses and a heavier crank. Should have this one running within a fortnight, and will report back here.Tim McClure

Comment

Hello Peter. You're not turning to the dark side too,are you.Daryl Patterson

Comment

Hi tim Could you please tell me the weight of the engine as I am just in the throws of converting a g13b suzi but it is a little overweight for my use I would use the g10 but the reduction drive is not going to like those nasty torsionalsRegards C.Bishoff quote:Originally posted by TimPeter, I used a "C" box on the first Suzuki that I have converted. It was 3 cyl 660cc K6A engine and was roughly equivalent to a 912, with a little more power and a little more weight. I started with the flex plate but the engine was too harsh and would only break above a fast idle with a very light prop. I turned a bit of weight off the manual flywheel and fitted it and the problem was solved. Actually I lied, it was not a "C" box I fitted but an "E", to take advantage of the light weight electric starter. The starter had no problem swinging the engine over at normal cranking speed. The engine performed very well in the Gyro.I am now converting a 4 cyl. 1000cc (K10A) Suzuki engine, with an installed weight 34 lbs lighter than an EA81 Subary and with more horsepower. I have lightened the flywheel a little more, hoping that the 4 cylinder will be smoother, with smoother firing pulses and a heavier crank. Should have this one running within a fortnight, and will report back here.Tim McClure

Comment

1000cc Suzuki (K10A) now has 200 hours on it and is running like a charm. Owner reports that he has not yet been game to hold it on full throttle. Definately more power than the fuel injected EA81 Subaru it replaced. Will get back with the complete powerplant weight.Tim McClure

Comment

Working...
            X