Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Position of main wheels - ease of flying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i moved mine back so it sits on all 3 wheels with tank empty. i couldn"t see anything wrong with it . i just wanted it to behave itself while being moved around on the ground. while taking off it handles very well. i have the advantage of being tall and long arms. control stick has much more travel built into it to suit rotor head

Comment

Just relating what I was informed by Kevin Treager when I returned to Lameroo for my instruction with him. He was amazed at the number of pilots at the Nationals there, that on take off, would push the stick forward to lower the nose of the gyro instead of increasing the power to push the nose down. I was guilty of when the nose wheel lifted pushing the stick forward to gain speed, but when I got the hang of doing it Kevs way it was less stressfull on me and we were in the air flying at the right climb angle and airspeed a lot sooner. Kevs explanation to me was that by pushing the stick forward you were lowering the angle of attack on the rotors thus they take much longer and you require more distance traveled to get to flight speed. Hope this helps others to get things better in taking off.Cheers Des Garvin.

Comment

A hard landing is a bit different with the mains back. If the gyro lands a bit hard on the mains it then rocks forward and slams the nose wheel down. Need to get the stick forward before touching the ground so it hits on all three wheels.I first moved the mains back on mine for better ground handling, then moved the nose wheel to the back and the mains forward to make it a taildragger. The taildragger set up made it difficult to get a smooth take off as it is a three point takeoff with no ballancing. Full back stick untill the mains are light on the ground then stick forward and more throttle. Okay when I was flying every day. Good for coming into land in a gusting cross wind. Just put the tailwheel on the ground and the machine straightens up.

Comment

Just relating what I was informed by Kevin Treager when I returned to Lameroo for my instruction with him. He was amazed at the number of pilots at the Nationals there, that on take off, would push the stick forward to lower the nose of the gyro instead of increasing the power to push the nose down.Cheers Des Garvin.Hmmmm bit confused here, when my rotors pick the front wheel off the ground, if i put full power on and dont push the stick forward im on the tail wheel before i know it, maybe i just dont know how to take off properly.

Comment

Hmmmm bit confused here, when my rotors pick the front wheel off the ground, if i put full power on and dont push the stick forward im on the tail wheel before i know it, maybe i just dont know how to take off properly.Hi Bones.Yep its called CLT

Comment

wouldn"t that be high thrust line?if it was centre, the rotors would be making heaps of drag at the high aoa and the wheels would make stuff all.

Comment

Gidday Des and all,You make an intertesting comment Des re the take off technique you describe. Did Kevin also explain, that that technique is only applicable to gyros with a specific thrust line? If not, I"d suggest that you contact him and ask why his technique is not applicable to all gyros if that is the impression you gained. Far be it for me to criticise an experienced and well respected instructor, but in my humble inexperienced opinion, that theory is not valid for every type of gyro.It would appear that the gyro Bones was referring to has a low thrust line as does mine, so that if you try to raise the nose by applying power, you will be badly embarrassed and leap into the air well below the power curve with a very uncomfortable feeling about your ability to control the beast. Potentially dangerous as well.Becoming airbourne safely behind the power curve is not a prohibited manoeuvre and is often used in soft/short field situations, but in my opinion, it is an exercise in advanced training for experienced pilots. One must appreciate and know what are the consequences, what are the causes and how to apply control inputs to safely handle the situation. A complete understanding of "P" effect on some types and torque effects, must be thoroughly understood. That"s my say for now. Good luck.Waddles.
                Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

It would appear that the gyro Bones was referring to has a low thrust line as does mine, so that if you try to raise the nose by applying power, you will be badly embarrassed and leap into the air well below the power curve with a very uncomfortable feeling about your ability to control the beast. Potentially dangerous as well.Waddles.Allan, did you mean "lower" instead of "raise"?Graeme.

Comment

Allan raises a good point, because of the different varieties of gyros & thrust lines, techniques will vary accordingly for the correct takeoff procedure.

Comment

Ok Gentle Persons, Just got of the blower to Kev and the way that I stated is correct for most machines but not all. Now may be I need to clarify on Allans comment of "raising the nose with power" This is not correct.

Comment

Ok Gentle Persons, Just got of the blower to Kev and the way that I stated is correct for most machines but not all. Now may be I need to clarify on Allans comment of "raising the nose with power" This is not correct.

Comment

i could see that working des,but i wasn"t taught way. but how long is " much less runway? " i was taught also not to allow full back stick . not all the way so the head sits on it"s stops its harder to feel the first stages of flap.[if it happens] i hold my stick forward just off the stops. i"ll have to check tomorrow but i think ????????

Comment

yes sam thats what i meant when you explain the clt.

Comment

May be we all need to vidio our take offs just to see exactly how we are doing things. : Think you will be rather suprised.Cheers Des Garvin

Comment

Ok Gentle Persons, What is the wieght on the nose wheel of your gyro when you are ready to commence your take off run?????? What is the distance from the centre of the mains to the centre of the nose wheel???? Centre of mains to the centre of the teter bolt when on that take of run. Just some things to think about. Yeh I need something to exersize the grey matter between the hearing aids.

Comment

Working...
                                X