Frayed Wires and UHF Radio's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frayed Wires and UHF Radio's

Have found the culprit causing the noise when I was tramitting. There was a frayed wire coming from the igniter and going to the block where the plug leads come out from, not sure what the correct term is for that thing ! The frayed section would have sometimes been very very close to shorting on the block and had enough bare wire exposed to creation a noise that the mike picked up while transmitting, now, how this wire came to get frayed is a bit of a mystery as it should not have been able to get frayed during normal operation.I was fortunate that my daughter's boyfriend is a Telstra technician with a very keen eye and was able to pick the frayed wire up. He also found another wire that was a bit heat affected so we were able to protect it better as well. BrianYou never know how far you can go, till you get there !

Igniter? You got a turbine on the back of that thing??????Could it be the coil? Which connects to the distributor, which then connects to the spark plugs... ooo, wait a bit, electronic ignition, still a coil, maybe no dizzy.Cheers,Nick.

Comment

AHA!Brain storm... rare indeed!Start your machine up in the dark, be bloody carefull - propellors bite harder in the dark, look for sparks in the dark, you'll find the dodgy connections in a hurry then.Cheers,Nick.

Comment

That is not as funny as it sounds Nick. I have seen electronic problems located this way in cars before.Ignitor (sometimes called trigger) = small powered electronic gizmo between the computer and the coil that converts the computer signal to a "spike" to fire the coil.Tim McClure

Comment

Thanks Tim for clearing up what the bits are called.Yes Nick, a turbine would be fun to have on the backend, have to carry a little extra fuel though and it would be great filling up on Diesal !!!!Never though about running the engine in the dark to locate a prbolem and will keep it in mind although in this case, I didnt know I had a major wire problem till a third party was looking around and found it. Its interesting but I have seen a few cases now where someone who has found problems where the owner hasnt seen the problem so I encourage on lookers to have a good sqizz provided they dont touch.Nick, I have a photo or two of my gyro and wouldnt mind posting it on this forum for you all to 'pull apart' so could you give me the run down on how to do that please...or anyone else that knows the drill ??You never know how far you can go, till you get there !

Comment

Working...
          X