rotor head jesus bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotor head jesus bolt

Hi everyone, as I am getting conflicting info on assembly of the jesus bolt onto the torque tube I,d like to ask which is the accepted method of this procedure. According to Rosco plans the bolt is screwed into a steel block which is inserted into the torque tube and then pinned for added security. Some TA"s disagree with this method

Hi Kon,Both are acceptable methods.If you have a steel RHS torque tube the internal threaded block and pinning with a roll pin are as strong if not stronger than a nut and splitpin.The Bensen method was to mill out the aluminium torque tube so the nut can be flush with the bottom,depending on the offset ratio theres not much meat left between this hole and the for/aft bolt. If your TA disagrees with proven designs ask why.

Comment

Have you got any photos of this topic to post?

Comment

Thanks Murray, well that clears things up. Don"t get me wrong the TA that I am communicating with is up to speed with all this and always has time for advice.and a real nice gentleman. He has built quite a few of these machines, but he does prefer a nut under the bolt. Have to wait and see when the final inspection comes up. Thanks again, Cheers

Comment

G"day Skyhigh, I"ll try and find some pics and then work out how to post them, unless there"s someone else that can do it faster than me. Cheers

Comment

Comment

yeah thats clever too[ never thought of it that way before] and with a photo explains it perfectly.

Comment

.Looks like an Air Command torque tube and bolt. Did over 1500 hours under one of those with my AC trainer.Aussie Paul.

Comment

rotor head jesus boltwot should us athiests call it?Spose, just to be sure we dont offend anyone, we shold call it the " no matter wot your religion, if this fails, your ****"...... bolt.

Comment

Hi everyone, as I am getting conflicting info on assembly of the jesus bolt onto the torque tube I,d like to ask which is the accepted method of this procedure. According to Rosco plans the bolt is screwed into a steel block which is inserted into the torque tube and then pinned for added security. Some TA"s disagree with this method

Comment

Sam,If that picture"s right... how do they go through the reamed bolt hole?Dean

Comment

Sam,If that picture"s right... how do they go through the reamed bolt hole?DeanHi DeanDisregard the O.D. part, as this is not the case with Aircraft AN Bolts. But more so the lack of stress raisers due to the rounded rolled grooves rather than the cut triangle grooves.

Comment

So why then are bolts of greater strength....ie grade 8 etc etc, cut threaded. AN bolts are lesser strength, around grade 5 approx.High strength engineering spec bolts are NOT rolled threaded. This runs against the myth that rolled thread is stronger. I think AN hardware was rolled threaded coz .................it was, why......... ??? ??? ??? ???
                          If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

Hi KonMy preference is to avoid the cut thread nut and pinned method/system. Remember if the cut thread fails your in trouble. "AN" nuts and bolts have matching rolled threads, which minimize stress points.Im with your TA Kon.Regards SamL....................... Well the Rossco heads have stood up alright for the last 50 000 hrs or so, and take into concideration that the "block and pin" system is at least twice the thickness of a standard nut.

Comment

Well the Rossco heads have stood up alright for the last 50 000 hrs or so, and take into concideration that the "block and pin" system is at least twice the thickness of a standard nut.And i reckon 50k hours would be on the light side too... the only time i"ve seen a cut thread strip out is when the bolt is constantly installed and removed mainly when over torqued.

Comment

Working...
                              X