Crush plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crush plates

Hi all, first post, hope its worthy...Can someone please clarify where in a gyro;s frame "Crush Plates" are used to make an airframe comply with the current regs. I was thinking that they would only be needing in major stress points (keel, mast, U/C mount points, engine mount to frame, etc). Also I take it that all crush plates are mounted internally.

***Bump***

Comment

crush plates or known as cheek plates - used to mount or sandwich the rotor head to the mast -bolt - plate the mast and keel together to hold shape and to keep the frame in tacked - they are major stress points and or points that take up the main loadingcheers adrian

Comment

when I was a lad Head plates held the head to the top of the mast and Cluster plates joined the lower mast to the keel. Crush to me means something put inside an open member so that when the through bolts were torqued the member would not crush and diminish integrity. Often times as long as the through bolts were close (1/4 of bolt diameter) to the member wall there was not a problem BUT if the through bolt passed through the member further away from the wall a crush reducer (for want of the correct word) should be used. All this info is in the US Bible for building repairing and maintaining aircraft. I am sure someone will know the name and number for that manual. It is available online.In the pic I was restricted with already drilled holes so used both methods.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Paul,I think the publication to which you refer is the "Aircraft Inspection, Repair and Alterations" Manual incorporating AC 43.13 - 1B ans AC43.13 - 2A.Adrian Stoffels may have it on disc for a small fee.Waddles
          Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Paul,I think the publication to which you refer is the "Aircraft Inspection, Repair and Alterations" Manual incorporating AC 43.13 - 1B ans AC43.13 - 2A.Adrian Stoffels may have it on disc for a small fee.Waddles Yes Allan, that is it. It used to be available online, actually it still is.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for the reply"s. That was exactly the information I was searching for.

Comment

Working...
              X