Starter motor in Gerry Goodwin Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motor in Gerry Goodwin Head

Hi Guys.I"ve got a problem with the starter motor in the rotor head.

I don"t Know what type it is Dean but a stuck brush will cause that sort of problem. You could try checking that for now. I drill drain holes in the rear plate so if any water gets in it gets straight out again.

Comment

G"day Disco,Your starter motor could be, what"s called poleing, that"s when the armature is fouling the windings, causes heat and loss of grunt. Some times when you hit it with a hammer, it will break the magnets. Best idea is to pull it off and get it checked out. Could also be the solenoid.

Comment

Dean the treatment we gyro pilots give to electric prerotators was never designed for.In their normal life they are energized for a couple of seconds only where as we hold em in for 15secs or longer.This causes a lot of heat to be generated and usually arcing of the copper plates within the solenoid which supplies the electrical power to the stator (magnets in the later models) and armatures.So the only real answer is a tear down and inspection. Most auto sparkies should be able to rejuvenate your motor if it is an odd ball or replace it if it is a standard model.I got lucky with one over here recently where it was not engaging at all. This particular unit lives about 100m from the coast and corrosion on the solenoid contact from the low power starter switch was the culprit.Regards.....Chook.

Comment

For many decades mechanics have been blaming the poor old solenoid when the fault is brushes and arching commutator. The solenoid pull-in winding earths through the armature via the brushes. If the current can"t pass through the armature via the brushes the sol. won"t pull in until you thump the starter with a large object.

Comment

Is the starter motor the type with the small cad plated motor with a reduction like in toyotas and the like? If so, under the plate with 3 bolts there is a

Comment

I took it to the auto elec. he said it had had water in it and was stuffed. I got another one off Gerry. He holds the model of the vehicle they"re off pretty close to the chest and sells them used for a few hundred bucks.

Comment

Replace it with a 10 hp Rotomax with a speed controller . Use a ESC with a programmable soft start.

Comment

All replaced now anyway.

Comment

I got another one off Gerry. He holds the model of the vehicle they"re off pretty close to the chest and sells them used for a few hundred bucksThere should be a part number on it which will tell you what it is off.... or take the old one to a good auto elec and ask for a quote for a new "one of these"...... he will soon tell you what it comes out of Post a pic of the dead one on here, just out of interest

Comment

The dead one is gone.

Comment

When you get a pic, drop into an auto elec on the way home and show him the pic, most good sparkies would probably recognise it just looking at a pic.Last one I bought, I just went to Repco and asked what internal reduction japanese starters he had in stock and the first one he bought out was right.... worked awesome.Just make sure you earth it to the battery not the frame only and get the blades moving before engaging it

Comment

Working...
                        X