Aluminium question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium question

Hi am a newbie and am researching the possiblity in building a single seat gyro.Have a set of Rod Torr plans and he states that 2x2.5 inch 6061 box tubing is to be used in the manufacture of the airframe.Have been having problems sourcing aluminium with that dimension?Have these plans been updated with metric sizings or if not can anyone put me on to a company that can supply me with the imperial size tubing.cheers

Basically the metric sizing of it would be about 50mm x 65mm just make sure it is 6061 though

Comment

Called a couple of aluminium suppliers and all the had was 100 x 50 x 6 and 76 x 76 x 6? Thanks for getting back to me Bones

Comment

Hi grytvikken1,I have an aluminium fabrication business and have contacts with aluminium extrusion companies so I"m pretty sure I should be able to help you source the material. Can you tell me what wall thickness you are after?I will let you know tomorrow.

Comment

It"s available from many places and clubs. Rosco stocks it 0880879148 - after hours.It may be the metric equivalent but that doesn"t matter. The Caboolture boys may also stock some.

Comment

grytvikken1 , Make absolutely sure that there is an internal radius within the tube that you purchase.The mast, rotors, head, controls and keel are all life support systems on a gyro. You can almost allow anything else to fail but not those!Get into contact with a TA for advice as there is nothing worse than completing a gyro then having it fail during the final inspection phase.Ask lots of questions and search this forum - most of the questions have been answered before.Regards.....Chook.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice am still at the planning stage at the moment so all information is gratefully recieved.cheers

Comment

Working...
              X