Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radios

Radios:I want to acquire an airband radio and a uhf radio for use on my machine, seeing as I can"t find my old ones... they"ve disappeared. I am seeking some recommendations on some radios that work and work well. I"ve scoured the net but I"m not happy with the outcome, so, any ideas??All assistance appreciated.

Micro air combo units have all worked well for me over 20 sets now, it"s all about the vhf aerial that is the secret

Comment

The secret"s in the sauce.

Comment

Bones,Given it is an open frame machine - will it cope with spray, etc?

Comment

Yep I had a helmet with full face, clear as sitting beside someone, it"s not the radios in that situation it"s the helmet nd mic setup

Comment

Bones,Not that sort of spray.... How do you protect your radio from water, either in flight or on the ground?I spoke with John from Microair & he said the MH 760 has no intrinsic water proofing or protection, so you can"t afford to get it wet.So, I may have to put a kennel on the Flaxinator before I get a flash radio like the 760.Given this info, is there a water resistant unit available that anyone knows of?

Comment

Nick, Icom A6 is supposed to be. Never tested it though

Comment

WOF - the Icom A15 is the only one that meets ACMA requirements.. any other Icom radio may have issues meeting ACMA specs. I think I should go and have a bloody good dig for the old ones that I"ve lost.. or were "taken" by hitherto unkown others. sure as eggs, I"ll buy a new set and then they"ll turn up, guaranteed!!

Comment

Bones,Not that sort of spray.... How do you protect your radio from water, either in flight or on the ground?I spoke with John from Microair & he said the MH 760 has no intrinsic water proofing or protection, so you can"t afford to get it wet.So, I may have to put a kennel on the Flaxinator before I get a flash radio like the 760.Given this info, is there a water resistant unit available that anyone knows of?Nic, I purchased an electrical box nd cut the holes ect to hold both radios nd uhf aerial it also hid all the wiring ect then just attach to side of seat tank so it was easy to reach, worked a treat

Comment

Nick, Icom A6 is supposed to be. Never tested it though Gents stay away from the Icom A6.It is a devil to interface to with other equipment and the microphone conversion plugs available require amplification with the standard GA mics that we use.It runs on 11v and requires a special power convertor not 12volts which is what is available (generally) from your gyro.Regards.....Chook.

Comment

and the radio god has spoken, he who does not listen to that is a fool.

Comment

WOF - the Icom A15 is the only one that meets ACMA requirements.. any other Icom radio may have issues meeting ACMA specs. I think I should go and have a bloody good dig for the old ones that I"ve lost.. or were "taken" by hitherto unkown others. sure as eggs, I"ll buy a new set and then they"ll turn up, guaranteed!!http://www.icom-australia.com/produc...nd_ic-a15.html http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/engag...and-operationsThe A15 does not meet ACMA specs. A6 definitely does if you buy the Australian version both on the

Comment

According to Pacific Avionics, Icom aren"t making any radios due to the ACMA issue for maybe up to 12 months... It isn"t good, so maybe an offshore unit would be a likely substitute..

Comment

Tony thanks for the concern. The last fires in our area started 5km downwind and burned out 7000 hectares with no loss of life but 2 structures, several K of power lines and poles, fences and a lot of wild life. They managed to stop it a few K"s from the heavily populated coastal suburban strip. (bout time they understood what bushfires are all about)Nick. I have resisted putting my bib in because at the moment I am despite being retired "flat out". (Tony I have some "bits" for your cable replacement but have progressed no further)I have had mediocre results with the Micro air/Xcom/GME 3200 (VHF/UHF) combination as well as a Micro air/Xcom (VHF only) The micro air is very expensive but does give you active noise reduction (ANR) which I wholeheartedly support in our noisy environment.

Comment

Chook,I can see MR getting you to write a couple of chapters for his book!
                              Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Working...
                              X