carrying extra fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrying extra fuel?

I am curious to know if strapping a jerry can onto the frame of a gyro causes any drastic change in the flight characteristics of a gyro? I saw birdy's feral with a drum in the engine mount and was just wonderin. I'd hate to try it out and get a rude shock[:I]. matt

That drum on Birdys machine is a tool box.And yes the extra fuel could make a difference to your machines C OF G, and lower it in relation to your thrust line.Regards Sam.

Comment

thanks sam

Comment

MattThe other thing to keep in ming is the effect of the additional mass on the climb performance. My 503 machine has good performance with me ( 72 kgs) and fuel loads up to 55 litres. Above 55 litres the performance drops off drastically. If your going to try it, do it first using small amount of water in the drum, that way if there is an issue involving contact between the tank and the exhaust you have no problems. If you can do a hang test to see what the impact is.Also fly around for a few hours with the tank half filled with water, and then remove and inspect it to see if you have any issues of wear due to you support brackets.Hope to see you at the next Nationals. Ross B

Comment

thanks ross i will do a hang test before i do any flying with the extra weight and i'll definately substitute fuel for water to make sure it's all good. i'll be up biggeden way over x-mas i plan on having a look aroud while i'm there. i plan on gtting to the nationals to so hopefully i'll see you then. matt

Comment

Ya right Sam, it is me tool/tucker box.I have ferried jerry cans in the same place, the main difference i noticed was the lack o thrust, coz the can's starv'n the prop of air, as well as the extra weight.Now, if i carry a jerry, its behind me head, resting on the top of the seat tank, straped to a frame i clamp to the mast. The only difference i notice with it there is the extra weight, which int much.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

Working...
            X