Inverted V tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverted V tails

Gentlemen,Does anyone have any information and experience on the use of an inverted V tail on a gyro, or any other aircraft?I know they are used on the likes of a global hawk and predator UAV's but what is the rationale behind their use? Are they more efficient? Do they provide better aerodynamic characteristics?Cheers,Nick.

V tails do and can work well, but the problem we gyro flyers face is that we cannot get it fare enough back due to the parth of our rotor disk. So due to this limitation we need to usually oversize the tail surfaces inorder to make them effective.A "V" tail on a Little Wing might have some merit !!!Below is a pic of the Hummingbird which did have a v tail, but sufferd adversly in certain conditions. Regards SamImage Insert: 74.31 KB

Comment

Sam,Thanks.Out of curiosity what problems did the gyro suffer and under what circumstance?I'll note that the one above isn't inverted so it may be part of its problem.Cheers,Nick

Comment

Having a V tail, up or down, limits the amount of surface area the wind sees during an up draft or cross wing.The other problem is the 2 fins usually sit outside the propellers thrust area, therefore limiting the amount of effect they have.An inverted V would be less effective again.The main reason for using a V tail was to reduce weight, and drag.This type of tail has never been popular because during a stall or spin, this type of tail is less effective.I beleive the Hummingbird sufferd from some of these problems, and so a few that were sold were converted back to a convertional tail.Regards Sam

Comment

Working...
        X