Gearboxes !! HELP !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearboxes !! HELP !!

Well, its done it again !! Yes, the seal has gone again on the main shaft of the Rotax C box.[after 8 hours.]This time after dissmantling everything, I started the motor and the donut part where the seal seats on is not running true, its not far out but it is out of round [for the lack of a better word ] I also noticed that when I put the shaft with the small cog on it back into the bearing at the rear of the box [the bearing that usually fails first] there is play between the shaft and the inside of the bearing.[not much but it is visable even with my great eyesight !] Questions .[?] Is this normal ? I know there is the big bearing near the seal that would take a lot of play out of things but will it take all the slack and out of round out. This bearing is brand new and yes, I havent checked to see if there is any play between it [the bearing[ and the shaft [with the little gear on !]Any help will be appreciated greatly as I cant raise my no 1 mechanic on the phone. I suspect he has it off the hook or is sitting up in lovely Queensland not far off the coast!!![8D]Brian

Brian,Pictures might help..Nick

Comment

What? ..of me taking to gearbox with sledgehammer ?? that wouldnt be a pretty sight !!!WEll, I did it, caught up with Rosco and decided to get another C box as this box does have a bit of wear and tear.Its probably done a few hours by now...sitting here and thinking...yes , I know its hard, but I had that box before the 2.2 got put on and thats 2000 hours ago. Will have to check the log book !!Never thought about taking any pictures Nick as I was in the wrong frame of mind !!Brian

Comment

Brian, at least you will have a spare if needed in a hurry. When you have a spare you will never need it!!!!!Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Paul,That is too much like when I can't find my tape measures, I go and buy another 2 of them, then put them in the car, I'm sure they breed, all of a sudden I'll have four of them... like the coat hangers in your cupboard.Cheers,Nick.

Comment

Well, hope you are right Paul, I was thinking of trying another type of gearbox but by the time you get another backing plate and whatever else is needed plus the time it all takes to fit and I need the gyro NOW so there you go !!!Will try another type of gearbox on the new 2 seater Brian

Comment

Working...
            X