Disc Loading....what is too low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Loading....what is too low?

Birdy,I see you pulled your post and I edited mine, here however is the extention of that discussion.As you, I noted Allan"s last line of his post. I was not going to comment here but as you raised the comment further I felt I should add my thoughts on the loading issue. I did some quick calcs, I dont know what the pilot weighed but I recollect he was, not to tall and light frame.If we give pilot weight at 85 kgs and fuel at 40 litres, approx 30 kgs, we"d end up with;Pilot and Gyro full fuel......1.2 lbs/sq/ft Disc LoadingPilot and Gyro low/no fuel......1.086 lbs"sq/ft Disc Loading

Hi Mitch, hope your Christmas break was rewarding !The gyro had a Rotax 582 & a 40 litre tank I believe, which makes for one light gyro plus a light pilot. Ricks rotors are pitched right up at 2 degrees as well.

Comment

Gyro MT weight 197 kgs, estimated pilots wt. at accident time 75 kgs, estimated fuel onboatd at time of accident 15kgs.Disc loading at time of accident 1.12.Waddles.
      Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

I just felt like a rite d&^%head for not remembern the bloke. :-Cors i knew him, i met him at the Lam Nats. But i dont have much of a memory for names.Must be getn old.

Comment

You are old!

Comment

You are old as the lady you hold mate!

Comment

G"Day Chopper,Likewise hope you and Rosie had a enjoyable Christmas and all the best for the new year.No one wants to discuss disc loading parameters, pros and cons etc?Mitch.

Comment

I dont recon it shoulda been an issue, even for a low timer, but im just a SCG.

Comment

G"Day Chopper,Likewise hope you and Rosie had a enjoyable Christmas and all the best for the new year.No one wants to discuss disc loading parameters, pros and cons etc?Mitch.Yes, it seems disc loadings are not that worthy of discussion which is a little surprising as loadings are relevant to safe flight. We had a quieter Christmas /new year down at Rosie"s folks. We usually do a Christmas lunch at Mildura with my sisters, then drive the 300K"s down to Rosie"s which makes for a big day so it was a pleasure not to have to drive anywhere Christmas day. We got caught bad a few years ago, the Nissan"s rego comes due on the 23rd December and we had only had it for 12 months and forgot that the rego was due on that date so we had the lunch in Mildura and was heading over the bridge at Mildura where we were pulled over for a random breathalyzer and Mr policeman put us off the road plus gave us a hefty bill to match so that was one year we didnt get to Rosie"s. Needless to say, the Nissan"s rego is now an important part of chrisy celebrations !!

Comment

I dont recon it shoulda been an issue, even for a low timer, but im just a SCG.We dont know yet that it was in this accident but as you well know, a light disc loading could be a handfull in the wrong situation.

Comment

Hey Chopper - just pay for 6 months rego and that will put it mid year. unless you do Xmas in July!Obviously the local coppers don"t take prisoners.

Comment

The only time iv found light loading to be a hinderance is wen your tryn to do high rate inputs, it just dont happen.Id never say light loading would be a hazard in ruff stuff.Everythns relitive.Light loaded blades have a shorter rev range for given AOA changes than heavier ones.

Comment

Hey Chopper - just pay for 6 months rego and that will put it mid year. unless you do Xmas in July!Obviously the local coppers don"t take prisoners.

Comment

Any thoughts on low disc loading PLUS a hang test at 2.5 degrees??Waddles.
                            Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Dont know any details bout the moments before the bingle, but i could picture run"n outa cyclic control range if the hang was only 2.5*. Itd be very hard to get level if you were nose high, slidn backwards and didnt chop power. Infact, impossable if you didnt side stick, and only pushed forwards.Im not go"n to speculate ere, but theres a few easy ways to get into trouble if you dont have enuff forward stick movement, and dont know the alternitive control.

Comment

Working...
                              X