Jim from HoneyBee Gyro's views on Centreline Thrust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim from HoneyBee Gyro's views on Centreline Thrust

Has anyone seen this?http://www.utahrotorcraft.org/web/JimF/JimF.htmlIt"s the guy who designed the HoneyBee Gyro.It"s long, but I"m having trouble trying to digest his views on thrustline and Centre of Mass, combined with stability from the application of a HStab.His Honey Bee design has the thrust line somewhere in line with the pilot"s head as opposed to the pilot"s navel rule-of-thumb for Centreline Thrust.I"d be interested in hearing what the Australian fraternity"s experts have to say on what he says in this video.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?Sorry, I just hoped that someone might have something to say on this.

Comment

The TL/COG can be tricky to eyeball.It certainly isn"t a problem when you see a low gyro with a heavy engine gearbox up.You can bet your house it will be HTL.The Bee"s have a light engine gearbox down. Add that to a heavy set of rotors and they could very well be CLT or close.Only way to know definitively is the double hang test.

Comment

Thanks, Murray.I was pretty sure that it"s not something as simple as "placement of the engine and prop relative to the pilot" and I sort of figured that the only way to determine thrust line is by testing the actual machine itself.In his email to me, he said that it should be "within 1 -2" of the so called CLT location." I was confused by his reasoning regarding the centrelines and Hstabs in his webinar. (Link in above post.)I was wondering if anyone had seen the above webinar and endorsed his views on gyro design.But your explanation has given me something more to thing about.

Comment

I"d be interested in hearing what the Australian fraternity"s experts have to say on what he says in this video.quojI believe the lack of responses is due to the above statement.I just hoped that someone might have something to say on this.As "someone" who has seen/heard what the HoneyBee guy has said of late, I found much of what he had to say, conflicted with views that I hold.It will be interesting to see how quickly kits are built and up and flying. God forbid, there"d be 3 or more pink "mecano set" Bees flying around OZ before we get another Butterfly out there. :Shame you couldn"t have had more responses from members like Muzza who have many more hours and have been on the scene for longer than most of us young fellas. If your looking to build something go homebuild or get a more proven kit or even a rolling frame.Goodluck.

Comment

Thanks, Mitch.Yes, I was concerned by the wording in Jim F"s email to me, which was phrased "so-called center line thrust".As you stated, this sounds as if he is doubtful of what is considered today to be canon.Murray"s explanation of this design has merit and makes sense, but I am still concerned about new designs that (it would appear, unless I"m mistaken) reject the modern idea of safe gyro design, i.e. thrust lines as close to the Center of Mass as possible.I"ve read many arguments saying that a good Horizontal Stabiliser will suffice in making a stable gyro and sufficiently reduce the chances of PIO and PPO, but why chance it? A CLT design significantly reduces the chance of such arguments resulting in a hindsight of "Oops! Looks like we cocked that one up, didn"t we?" whilst looking at yet another smokey hole in the ground!I"d be interested in seeing how the HoneyBee gyro stacks up on a double-hang test.Rest assured, it is my intention to own nothing less that a CLT gyro with a good-sized Hstab.I"ll either buy a current non-CLT and convert it, buy an existing CLT or build from scratch. I"m not an aeronautical engineer, so I"m not going to play the ol" "Internet Armchair Expert" game of claiming "I reckon I know what I"m talkin" about!" when, in fact, I don"t!Until I do, I"ll listen to the seasoned professionals and stick to the rules.

Comment

You are welcome quoj. Enjoy the journey.

Comment

Dang gosh darn it! Bloody Murray bringing back more old poop!Yes, but very relevent poop it is too... still... and always will be... so

Comment

Working...
                X