No announcement yet.

Teetering limits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason our blades teeter is due to the advancing blade climbing and the retreating blade descending. This force is at its maximum at 90 degree"s to the machines relative (on coming) airflow. At this point the blades are level and opposite each other. The point were the advancing blades reaches its highest point and retreating blade reaches its lowest point is 90 degree"s later. This is due to a phenomena called Gyroscopic Precession. This is why our disc usually flys at 9 degrees to our relative airflow.More or less teetering of our blades can be due to a number of factors. blade Inertia, weight, length, AofA and speed. If you can reduce teetering you will usually reduce machine/stick shake. One of the main reasons AK"s usually fly smoother is due to the blades being pitched less than others, causing them to produce less lift, spin faster, creating more inertia, and therefore teeter less.As you transition from cruise to fast flight, we need to push forward on the stick so as to reduce the amount of lift being produced stopping the machine from climbing. This also causes a reduction in drag, therefore alows us to fly faster. Even though we now have more airflowing through the blades, we are limiting them from speeding away by reducing there AOA and therefore reducing lift, therfore reducing auto rotational force and therefore reducing teetering.My 2 bobRegards SamL...........

Comment

thanks gbw and sam , but my straight and level is ok at any speed with either set of blades its when i turn that i can feel it hard on the stick. there is some marks on the hub bar that line up with my stops. i"m not sure they have hit but???? i was wanting to know a bit more. does this happen to others

Comment

hey tony, marks on the hub bar when sticking it to the left or right.., , i get the feeling that your inputs on the controls are to rapid maybe. i got the same thing when i just recently got myself a new set of ak,s and they fly heaps different than the larkin blades i had, as im just refining the rotors at the moment, i have only come across the bounce bit that im currently working on, but the rotors hitting the teeters stops , might be the inputs are to agressive, cheers adrian

Comment

So many budding "gyronautical engineers".

Comment

Brilliant contribution , from a spert no dout.

Comment

Working...
            X