Are Gyro's economical to fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Gyro's economical to fly?

Hi,I"m just wondering on which engines are more suited (if there is such one) to the Gyro"s due to the auto-rotational wing.For example, a Rotax 912 in a flex-wing will fly you along at 55knots with a 12 to 14l/h fuel burn but the same engine in a decent fixed wing would probably go 80 to 110 knots at the same fuel burn.The Subaru engines in Gyro"s seem to consume a lot of fuel (17l/h+) for only 50 to 55 knots. What are the alternatives?Also, are there any approved kits one can build and does anyone know of any recommended suppliers of these?Many thanks,Azhar(Flex-wing still considering autogyro)

Azhar,The gyro you looked at the other day with get me along at 80kts using about 17lts/hr, 60 kts at 14lts/hr, the gyro/helicopter/rotor wing

Comment

Hi Azhar. Fixed/flexi wings fly along with the wing at an Angle of Attack to the relative airflow of approx 3 or 4 drgrees. The gyro rotor disc flys at ab AoA to the relative airflow of approx 9 or 10 degrees.That means much more drag, BUT they won"tstall, they can handle almost any weather mother nature can throw at it, and they are so easy to transfort and assemble for flying.The safest and most enjoyable recreational aircraft for sure. ;D ;DAussie Paul.

Comment

AzharI use to fly Flex-Wing (Trikes) for 6 years, and have now converted to Gyros.My machine runs a Rotax 582, fly"s hands off at 50 Knots, has a top speed of 70 knots, and burns between 16-18 litres per hours.Since converting to gyro"s, I have never looked back. Sam.......... ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Ross Bannerman would have to confirm this, but, on his red Rossco machine which he sold about 3 ~ 6 months ago, on a cruise flight he was getting car like economy - 12 litres per hour at 60 kts from memory = approx 120 km, so 10 km / litre - not bad for an EA 81 stocker with a 76" prop on a redrive.Cheers,Nick.

Comment

Paul,Try as I might, I just cant get my Gyro to transfort, as easy as it might be!Mark.

Comment

But then again,Isn"t the fuel consumption purely related to the size and number of cylinders and revolutions of the engine only? The speed generally depends on the prop and rotor blade configuration right?So why have a whopping Subaru 2+ litre +/- turbo charger? Is it for climbing speed only? Would you ever be on the wrong end of the power curve with an engine like that Ie is it safer in unforseen conditions?Sam, I pulled the bar in on my new but 20year old microlight and got a nice 55 knots at 8lt/h. It only has a Rotax 462 cruise at 4,800 revs. But my shoulders paid the price big time. Max endurance for me in this aircraft is 45 minutes getting knocked around all over the place. Regards,Azhar

Comment

Paul,Try as I might, I just cant get my Gyro to transfort, as easy as it might be!Mark. You will just have to try harder Mark.

Comment

It only has a Rotax 462 cruise at 4,800 revs. Sounds alot like the one i had.462 w cooled 2banger pegussus Q.Run on the sniff of an oily rag, 8 hours on a 40 odd L tank.Slippery as a house fly,[ but not quite as slippery as a gyro.]But F&^%$, was it a handfull wen it got rough.Not wot id recomend for mustern, unless you never have rough wether.9 hour days mustern ina trike aint real smart.I"v never looked back since i found me first gyro.

Comment

Sam, I pulled the bar in on my new but 20year old microlight and got a nice 55 knots at 8lt/h. It only has a Rotax 462 cruise at 4,800 revs. But my shoulders paid the price big time. Max endurance for me in this aircraft is 45 minutes getting knocked around all over the place. Regards,AzharI think Birdy is right, sounds like a Pegasus Q.Azhar, I flew my Gyro from Ballarat Vic, to Lamaroo S.A. Took around 5 hours, and didnt have to climb to 7000+ ft. to find calm air.What most people dont realize is gyro"s dont climb very well compared to Trikes. You must remember your Q was designed as a 2 seater, so flying one up enables you to puttt along burning very little fuel.The new EdgeX Trikes fitted with Steak wings flown 2 up burn about 18-20 lt per hour.The Rotax manual call for 20 lts for a 582 at 75% power.I used to fly a Skylink Hornet 532, and 1 up would fly at 4200 rpm and burn about 8 L/H at 42 knots.I was once told to ensure I acheived at least 5000 RPM in it or glazing could build in the bores??????Below is a Pic of mine (right) and my mates Q (left).Regards Sam.......... ;D

Comment

Hi,No mine"s a Mainair (now Pegasus & Mainair) Gemini Flash 2 Alpha - in really good condition. My shoulders still feel like they"re half dislocated and I can"t say I"m looking forward to my next flight this morning much.I think I"d better get myself some Gyro familiarisation then come back.Azhar

Comment

Azhar, if your gonna go for a fly Thurday or latter(finish work Wednesday arvo) let me know and i meet you at the airport, and show you how these things handle the air in the late after noon lately, i bet you woudnt ever bother opening the hangar, but i can fly with ease..Ps thank for the tapes back, didnt mean a special trip....

Comment

Hi,How about Thursday just after 5pm at the airport? My trike is in Oak Valley (outside Townsville) because there"s no hangar space here... another good reason for...If you can make it then, I"ll REALLY appreciate it.Azhar

Comment

Working...
                          X