Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Champion arrives at EAA'S Pioneer Airport

Image Insert: 45.35

Great post & pics Barry , thanks. Would be something to see it flying.

Comment

Great aircraft Barry, and good to see one still fying.Does any one know of any flying Cieva C-30's or were we could see one in the flesh !!!!Regards Sam.Image Insert: 21.39

Comment

Saml,back in the 60's there used to be a Cieva that flew out of Bankstown,from memory it made a lot of noise.I tried many times to cadch a ride,no luck.Marshall used to have a BF109 in his hanger also.I dont know what happened to either of them !I used to love flying with him in the old De Havilland Dragon.Cheers.Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

MMMMM... Center line thrust,big horizontal stabilizer, this idea may just catch on.....M Barker

Comment

Some more Cierva pics. first one is a C24. the others are C30A"s.Some of them are still flying. I"m sorry that I never got to.Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

Very Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![][][]Regards Sam.Image Insert: 89.72

Comment

Sam, as a matter of interest, Cierva went on to produce thismuseum piece.It's a Cierva CR-LTH-1 Grasshopper 3.I'm not sure what year it was built.Cheers.Image Insert: 63.34

Comment

Sam and Rob. I think that C30 is VH-USR on display in the Powerhouse museum in Sydney. I think the 109 is the 109G-10 at the War memorial in Canberra.Daryl Patterson

Comment

Thanks Daryl, that's interesting.Nice to be able to keep track of these things and if I'm ever in Sydney again I'll pop in and have a look.I am pretty sure the De Havilland Dragon is still flyingin the UK. She was a beautiful ol girl.Cheers.Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

Dragon and office photas.Someone may know exactly where Marshalls old one went ?Jeez they were beaut things.Still are !Image Insert: 64.98

Comment

Rob, that grasshopper 3 looks to be a helo, and seems to have been fitted with twin counter rotating rotors.Did it fly, and what was the purpore of this machine ??????And yes the D.H. Dragon was a very fine machine, and copit looks very cossey, wasnt it known as the flying glass house ?Regards Sam

Comment

Rob, I'm pretty sure that first one you posted with the inverted in-line engine is actually a de Havilland effort. There is a lot of this stuff in the Peter Lovegrove books in the library.The information on the C30 is very interesting, it had no rudder-Cierva had an obsession with simplicity, but it had a rather nasty habit of being impossble to pull out of a high speed dive!John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

Sam, the Grasshopper was indeed a helo and considering when she was designed, it was pretty slick.Here is a bit more stuff.If you ever get a chance to ride in a Dragon, take it !Dont know what they were called but I would say it's a beautJittny.Cheers.Image Insert: 47.27

Comment

G,day John.Here is another pic of the one above.It is labelled as being aDeHavilland Australia DH-84 Dragon 3.?Two more pics, VH-VGP taken at Bairnsdale is a De Havilland DH-89 Rapide.DH-UTV at Scone in 2003 is a De Havilland DH-89A Rapide.Did they ever make a Dragon that didn't have the engine inverted ?I cant recall having heard of one that wasn't ?By the way back when I was involved racing bikes, Phil Irvings book,Tuning for Speed, was our bible. The science hasn't changed much has it. I lost my copy somewhere along the way.Bugger doing high speed dives in a C30, I wouldn't be game to comea gutsa doing that !Image Insert: 74.31

Comment

Working...
                              X