Radio Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Calls

Okay so im looking thru another site about Planes and come across this:Went and talked to the gyro flight school today, and the instructor asked me what I"ve been taught about airmanship? I was not real shore what to say! because airmanship is a variation of a lot of things! I ask why, and he said, well nearly every time he was about a foot off the ground on landing, I"d come onto the radio....... Happened three times apparently, I just happened to fluke calling downwind just when he was in a critical phase of training someone to land....!He said it"s good airmanship to see where the other aircraft is (which I do of course) but wait until they"ve landed, or well before they are starting to land before calling on the radio.... Since im rarely near a airfield im wondering what ya"s all think? Is it really that stressful during training? ( when i did my training i didnt believe so but then again my training was at a quiet private field) Do you believe that it should be pure silence during landing training? Should training be done at quiet fields or private fields?Should the instructor harden up? as this is a part of flying and a student should learn to cope with these thing from the start?Perhaps had a break at that stage and awaited until it was quiet?Im interested in what everyone thinks I just thought i was a little odd....i dunno Just never really thought about waiting till someone has landed or be commencing landing ..... Should I ?????Trent

Hi Trent,I recon they cold probably harden up a bit.

Comment

Hey Dean Maybe they thought that you were doing it intentionally.

Comment

Must admit........training a guy in a busy location, is sometimes a pain in the *rse..........because of other folks all blurtin their intentions / locations.........whatever. Sometimes when your student is in a critical moment.......ie getting balanced on mains etc, about to touchdown etc. And "you"... instructor needs to speak via the intercom about some matter........bingo, some ****** comes onto the radio, and blurts he is about to turn base, or i am 500ft turning downwind, etc etc etc .It"s not distracting...........it just cancels out intercom use between you and student, for that critical moment.When multiple aviators all doing the same circuit, or in the same general area..........it becomes hard.I just turn the thing off..........and we just do our thing, no interruptions. We all operate, well most of us do......in a CTAF location, hence radios are not compulsory, anybody quiz you about "your" radio, why don"t you use it...tell em it"s got a problem, and at some stage you gota get it fixed.When student has got the hang of things.........i turn it all on, let him/her deal with all the transmissions, while piloting. So i can see where that instructor is coming from here..........i hope.
        If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

Aye Rascal Russ, When are you going to update your info, as it says board member now that true or false : I"m confused.... ??? Cheers confused Des

Comment

At least his picture is up to date.

Comment

Ok you 2 prats.............you is on me $%^&**

Comment

One glaring error is on our website...........reads australia sports etc etc ( 2nd page ).........should read AUSTRALIAN sports etc etc.Hope you all are enjoying your gyro mag................still ain"t got mine, paid me dues month or 2 back, paper work goin via china i think, or india maybe. ??? For some one who should know it is not nice to throw stones Russ, and it is very common knowledge that dues are payable at or before

Comment

Yea...i know, i know...............couldn"t help myself

Comment

Gents,Back on the original subject, there is no requirement for a pilot in the circuit to make a decision as to whether or not his radio call will affect someone else no matter what phase of flight the other party is at. His responsibility lies in making the correct calls at the appropriate time relative to his position in the circuit and his intentions.Perhaps the complainant should have changed his position in the circuit so as to avoid similar "conflicts" or if it"s too hot in the kitchen, get out.Allan Wardill.
                    Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Thanks all, Oh and nice high jack in the middle there.

Comment

Working...
                      X