Cross Country Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Country Questions

With the Cross Country Course just around the corner, try some of these 1. What is the total fuel ,and useable fuel load for your gyro.2. What is your range of fuel burn rates for normal cruise speed, with minimum and

Idiots first.1; 120L, 119L.2; 18 to 12 lph.3; it dont much.4; ???5; ???6; ???7; watch the other blokes.8; wen sumone gets in ya way.9; cant answer this one. Id blackout long before i even got to 4600".10; 50 kts, [60 if i get below the trees.]Disclamer, i wouldnt make an aviaters a55hole.

Comment

Comment

Second Idiot.1. 75l 75L2.Min load 13.5LPH, max load up to 18LPH3. Expect to use more fuel over 40Celcius. Over 45C to 50C would expect to a lot more4. Reckon they are a nurse from WW115This is easy, its a VN Commodore with the S pack ! 6 Another real easy one, its something that Toyota used to get terrific fuel economy7. Too easy, I would do a pass at 50 ft AGL down the active runway so I get to see the windsock real easy.Sometimes it pays to do a "split **** " turn at the end of the runway and do another pass, just to accurately determine the max ground speed on the GPS.8.Far better to sneak in without making any calls, preferably around tree top level so no aircraft can see you coming, then when you see an aircraft on short final, turn in front of him and give a radio call just before touch down ! 9. I think this is a trick question as the answer to number 8 would more than suffice! ;D10, Another real easy one, the answer is 19.9 NM...always important to land with no more than just enough fuel to safely taxi to the fuel browser.!! Also, if you happen to crash on landing, fire shouldnt be a big problem due to spilt fuel

Comment

My Thoughts1,2 and 3This is information you should know about your gyro. Also need to consider that fuel burn rates will increase with increasing temperature, as Brian indicated this increase can be dramatic, specially when combined with increased loads on long cross country flights.8. When should you make your first inbound call, when flying to a licensed airfield.Prior to entering the CTAF. Why?? There are times when you may be inbound to deactivated controlled air space. The times when these areas are active and deactivated are published in ERSA, but these airspaces can become active at any time, if there is a need. So if you make the call prior to the airspace/ CTAF boundary, the tower will respond before you enter the Controlled Airspace, and you will have time to avoid the Controlled airspace. If you develop the habit of doing this you will be a safer pilot.9. Bathurst is 12nm south of your current position, and you are inboundYour altitude is 4600 feetSpeed 60 knotsZero wind 1430 local timeRego G2175There are two GA aircraft doing circuits (1000 ft AGL), and you can hear their radio calls, and there is also another aircraft inbound from the west.What is a suitable inbound radio call, and when would you make the call?What is your first circuit call?When I make a call I consider the target audience and what information they need to help with their decision making. Other pilots want to know three basic factsWhere you areThis is just location and altitudeWhat you are doingYour intentionsWhen and if you will conflict with themThe other inbound aircraft will work this out from your position and altitude. The aircraft in circuit would benefit from knowing when you will be in the circuit area. If you were a well known aircraft type they would work it out from your distance and have a good assumption as to your speed. But your in a gyro, so its best to add an estimated time of arrival in the circuit area..

Comment

Ok its back

Comment

Working...
            X