This Weeks Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Weeks Quiz

[:0][:0] something on the forum about gyros.1/ What techniques can be used to prevent rotor flap while manually prerotating in windy conditions.(old hands share your secrets on this one)2/ If you use a two stroke with a pulse pump, what are the recommended service intervals for this device?3/ What is the life expectancy of your fuel hoses?Let's try and keep this thread on topic[]Ross B

1/ wind em up facing down wind before turning into wind. When you turn into wind keep em flat and bring them back as they wind up - keep a good eye on them.2/ Two stroke? What are they ... [xx(]3/ Depends on what fuel hose your using. Every year for the cheaper rubber type I guess.Quote: DuPont Teflon® fluoropolymer is one of the most chemically inert polymers. It ensures the fuel hose will not degrade over time. Teflon® is 100 times less permeable than nylon and 1,000 times less permeable than rubber.The composite of fiberglass and DuPont Teflon® fluoropolymer provides near-zero permeation and a life span of greater than 15 years.http://www.automotive.dupont.com/en/.../case018.html?Safe Flying ... ding Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment

Comment

Only the sugestions of a SCG.1; The best thing to add to 'any' gyro is a simple, strong stick lock that locks the head in the full forward and slightly off centered position. Why off centered? Coz if your winding up manualy or waiting for them to wind down after landing, you position the machine so the low side of the disc when locked is on the upwind side, which alomst compleatly prevents any contact with the stoppers in very strong winds.It's only when the blades are spining slow enough to stop by hand that they'll start to contact the stoppers.When spinning up, they'll be held neutral to the wind, and once they'er up to speed you can jump in and unlock the stick and gently feed the wind into them.The time you'll most apprectate a stick lock is after landing on a cold windy day after a couple o hours and your busting for a p1ss.2; Shortly after installing the engine, throw the pulse pump to the sh1thouse and use a couple of electric ones.[or at least use an electric on when take'n off, land'n, fly'n low and every time the pulse pump chucks another spastic.]3; When ever it starts to crack on the outer sheath.[ I only use reenforced rubber coz that clear stuff gose hard after you roll it outa the shed.] Bout 2 years.My neck's worth more n' a bit o hose.[to some people anyway.]Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

My thoughts1/ If you can find protected area behind a hangar or some trees, this can make it easier to spin them up without flapping. Also in windy conditions this is the time when you have to try to get em spun up as fast as you can manually, then collapse into the seat puffing and wondering why your flight suit is so warm.2/ I think the pulse pumps need a service kit every year or every 200 hours. The kit is cheap approx $20 while a replacement pump is $50.3/ ??Ross B

Comment

The best way to hand spin Rotors in strong wind is;Point the Gyro side on to the wind direction with the stick in the full forward direction and face the rotors down into the wind. After winding up, level the Rotors keeping the stick in the forward position then gradually move the stick to bring the Rotors into the breeze without back stick, this way you can avoid blade flap as the side direction would not or should not allow the tilt angle to go beyond nine degrees. It works every time.Jeff H-S

Comment

Working...
          X