Am I Behind The Power Curve???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Behind The Power Curve???

Some things to think about.How do you know when your behind the power curve? What are the indications? RossB

Ross, there is a "minimum power required" to maintain height, which is different on every machine. anything less and you have to start adding power again just to maintain height. This is behind the power curve.Tim McClure

Comment

If your decending, with full power on, then your behind the curve.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

Birdman,Is that with the nose up or down???Cheers,Nick.

Comment

Gidday Ross,Tim and Birdy are correct in my opinion. Nick is stirring I think!There are 2 common "behind the power curve" scenarios. The most common occurs when a pilot tries to force the gyro to fly on takeoff before it is ready .... horseing it off is a common term for this "manoeuvre". Recognition is afforded by the fact that the nose is abnormally high compared to normal, and the gyro does not climb. It remains airborne in ground effect, and may continue like this until obstacles determine otherwise, or in an effort to force a climb, the pilot raises the nose even further increasing the potential for a blade strike behind the gyro. Recovery may be effected by lowering the nose slightly to establish a gentle rate of descent to touchdown. Chopping the power in this situation will cause an accident'. Solution? Don't force the gyro to fly during takeoff. Gyros originated on Venus, so they do things when they are ready, not before!! The second scenario involves the much discussed down wind turn. Despite the many varied explanations for why this phenomenon occurs, the fact of the matter is that you have full power applied with the nose high, and the gyro is still descending. The consequences near the ground are the same as for the takeoff scenario. The solution? Dont be there!Herein lies my opinion.Regards,Waddles.
          Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

If the nose is down Nik, it's called a dive.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

Image Insert: 7.39

Comment

Another indicator is the sluggish feel to the controls. Larger control inputs are required to correct any deviation to track and the aircraft response is also much slower. The rudder control is still responsive if you have plenty of power on , the main changes are in roll control. If you've ever paddled a kayak half full of water, that's the same feeling.RossB

Comment

If Nick is going to ask questions like"is that when your nose is up or down", I have a sneaking suspicion that he may be behind the "learning" curve!

Comment

[Many years ago when I was doing my GA lessons I was taught a very good saying.......................You pull the stick back and the houses get smaller, you pull the stick further back and they get bigger again. all the bestPete Barsden

Comment

Haw haw haw haw...You so funny.

Comment

Working...
                      X