Sportcopter Mustering Model low flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportcopter Mustering Model low flying

Hi,I asked Jim Vanek at Sportcopter if he could do some low flying with the new upgraded Mustering Model for us.

Nice video IanFound it intersting at 3.31 to see the machine in a low level "Low Nose Attitude" high speed pass. This is typical of a HTL machine without enough negative on the HS. Regards SamL.............

Comment

Or is it because of the large frontal area pushing the nose down due to the high speed?? Change in Centre of Pressure as birdy was describing some months back?

Comment

I believe both examples are valid, and applicable in this case.The sum of static moments, resulting in this nose down, high speed pass.High thrustline, long downward sloping nose pod and

Comment

Just to clarify a couple points.I have tested 2 Sportcopters for thrust line and both are within the CLT bracket of +/- 2". The Lightning 503 was 1" above centre and the 582 Vortex was 1 3/8" above.

Comment

Hi Ian,The Vid looks good but it would of been better to see how it goes hanging off the prop altho im not a muster, i believe this is one main thing that is important.Trent

Comment

Hi Trent,Yes, I"m not a mustering pilot either but Jim Vanek has done what I asked him to do; some low flying.

Comment

Comment

Hi Trent,Yes, I"m not a mustering pilot either but Jim Vanek has done what I asked him to do; some low flying.

Comment

I just watched the video, and as for the "low nose attitude" questions above, i am confused at this, because i fail to see how any gyro doing a fast fly by, wouldnt have a nose low look, if you do not keep the nose down up will gain altitude, so to keep it low you have to keep the nose low.I know if im up it low to the ground, it feels like im aiming at the ground.Am I right in saying that during the above scenario of high speed flight the rotor disc AoA should be less, to stop the climbing, and the keel should still be level due to the h/stab having enough downforce to overcome the airframe parasitic drag below the CoM?Aussie Paul.

Comment

Bones and Birdy, can probably get away with hanging off the prop I think there mite be a little miss understandn ere.Every machine, no matter its power to weight, hasa no slow zone.Coz if the noise stops, your in it deep.There are alota things to be considered and alota options you have, under different conditions n situations, but 99% of the time, if the noise stoped, the least you could expect is a very hard thump, if youv got clean level dirt drirctly under you.Anythn other than clean level dirt and your go"n to have sum buildn to do, i dont care who you are, or think you are.IOW, its nota safe place to be, even witha 912.

Comment

Hi Aggro,You said -

Comment

Hi Paul,I was hoping a man with all your experience with experimentation would know the answers for me because I not sure.

Comment

Hi IanSorry for opening this can of worms on you. But gyroplane stability is so misunderstood and there are so many differences of opinions. This is our biggest hurdle and this is why ASRA has gone to so much trouble to standerdise on one common understanding for GYROPLANES.Yes you are correct there are a few forces which come into play in flight. One is Dynamic and the other is Static. Both are very different and are "Black and White" but both contribute to a gyroplanes stability in there own unique way.After reviewing the video it was noticed that the machine flew nose low during straight and level at a high speed/power setting. I bet if the same low level pass was conducted again at only cruise power & speed the machine would probably fly with a level keel angle.If the nose low attitude was due to a low CofP (large tundra tyres, sloping pod ect) then this should have been correctly balanced by a neg set HS during flight testing. Once properaly set up, the HS would produce a proportional amount of negative lift (regardless of speed) to counter the effect of pod and wheels.If the machine is currently still being developed then this is expected, but if not then in my opinion will require attention prior to going to market.My 2 centsPS. Would love to sight the Hang and Tiltback test results Regards SamL......................

Comment

Hi Paul,I was hoping a man with all your experience with experimentation would know the answers for me because I not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X