No announcement yet.

Gyro crash Vic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It occurred to me that nearly all the gyro accidents I"ve read about in recent years on this forum where one of us had come to grief were people who were little-known or had no presence here. Whilst I"ve never met Sam, I have interacted with him on this forum and found his posts to be insightful, wise and most helpful. A sad day indeed.My condolences.

Comment

Just saw the news. I am devastated. Sam so loved gyro"s, was so careful in his preflight checks. Always there with advice or help. My sincere condolences to his young family, who shared him with us.Graham

Comment

Memento mori.

Comment

My condolences, I bludged a ride with Sam after the last instructors course down to Brisbane airport. He never stopped talking Gyros all the way. A great loss. I hope we discover what went wrong!

Comment

My Deepest condolonces to the families concerned

Comment

Hi all, I just wonder if the same bugger that got me got our mate Sam? Mr bloody COMPLANCY. Mates watch out for him or her as the bugger strikes when least expected. I am putting this on from hospital on this great techie thing IPhone. Be careful all. Des Garvin.

Comment

My deepest sympathy to both family"s and friends. A devastating loss to the Gyro community. Will be sadly missed

Comment

Hi all, I just wonder if the same bugger that got me got our mate Sam? Mr bloody COMPLANCY. Mates watch out for him or her as the bugger strikes when least expected. I am putting this on from hospital on this great techie thing IPhone. Be careful all. Des Garvin.Des I"m absolutely sure it was not complacency.I have spent some hours looking at the accident pictures and video.Complacency was not one of SAM"s things particularly when flying with a student.He NEVER EVER took it for granted EVER. He was always all about safety first, no exceptions.Anyone that spent any time with SAM will agree with me on this point.This will be backed up by the analysis of the accident when it does become available. Since what I"m thinking is just my thoughts that"s where they will stay.I"ll wait and see whether the facts match what I think happenned, or close version of them.ONE thing I"m SURE of is that SAM was not complacent, EVER.Sorry, I"m pretty upset about this accident.

Comment

Mate, my heart felt condolences go out to ya and ya young family. Ya are in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult times. Me knowing someone so special in our gyro community will never be forgotten. Rest in peace!

Comment

Our sincere condolences from the Dewhurst family

Comment

R.I.P Sam.You will be really missed.The gyro world needed guys like you.I can"t believe this has happened to such a great guy.My heart goes out to the family.

Comment

What a sorrowful day. This is a hammer blow that will leave a huge hole in the hearts and minds of everyone who knew Sam. I feel for his family and could not know their loss, as I am sure it is a great one. I don"t know who was in the machine with Sam at the time but I am sure his family is suffering as equally. My condolences to both families.I know Sam from this forum and bought some strobes off him for my machine.No matter who is lost it is a tragedy, the loss of Sam is doubly so for his contributions to this sport and the flying community generally, and gyrocopters specifically. I know by his manner that he was a diligent and cautious operator, and that this is certainly undeserved.He will be sorely missed.Nic.

Comment

I dreamt I saw an Eagle fall,And when he landed , heard him call,"Weep not for me , for I am a flyer ,My dreaming calls me ever higher . "I laid him down on grass so softthis brave young seeker from aloft.Looking upwards to the skyI held him gently , asking " Why ? "I thought it safe , close to ground ?Than soaring high , where clouds abound,Might not the lightning strike you wings ?I wonder why you do these things?He slowly turned to me & said -"You"ve never walked on ground untread ?"For this my friend , has been my task,and now I"ll answer what you ask,When first I flew some years agoMy father took me up to showA place where Eagles never lifteda place where clouds had never drifted.And as we flew , my feathers graspingair so thin my breath was rasping,I stared above , with humled feelingAnd gazed with awe on heavens ceiling.Is this as high as we"re to go ?We mortal creatures from below.Just then he called me , as we parted,"It"s higher now than when I started."And then I knew as not before ,the highest place that Eagles soar.And star surrounded , I did sayA prayer for those who showed the wayI know not why my wings have failed,a thinking downward as I sailed,In all the years that I"ve been flyingThe best was in the trying.So leave me here among the the clover,for in the quest my part is over.Fear not , my friend , for dreams endure,For Eagles coming , of this I"m sure.

Comment

Myself and Allan have just returned from Melbourne.We were assisted on site by Mark Regan and Ian Morcombe.We can say for now there was no pilot error involved. Weather was not a factor.Components from the wreckage have been removed for laboratory analysis.Two other Kruza"s with the same components have been grounded. Not all of this type are affected.The investigation will take some time.

Comment

Murray,Sorry to hear this task was yours to bear.I can"t see the rotor in the photograph posted on the smh. I note the keel to the tail is bent back on itself through approximately 150ø. Is the rotor a contributor to this incident?Nic.P.S. I suspect more specifically a rotor tower may have failed? It is the first time I"ve had a good look at the head design.

Comment

Working...
                                X