No announcement yet.

Gyro crash Vic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this on Youtube.It"s Sam doing what I"m sure he loved most.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDhcBgMBeNoI hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Comment

Good Morning All,As previously advised, pilot error and weather have been ruled out as contributing factors in this accident. The onsite inspection of the wreck was exhaustive and detailed during which anomalies were found in the control system. Several components were removed and have been sent to the ATSB for technical analysis. Some electronic equipment was also removed for further investigation.Whilst it will be some time before we have definitive results which may confirm initial findings, the investigation team is asking all owners, operators and pilots to conduct a thorough inspection of all individual components within their gyro control systems to confirm that no cracking or bending of these components exists. Where suspicions are aroused, cease operations immediately and seek technical advice.Regards,Allan WardillTeam Leader
      Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Good Morning All,Whilst it will be some time before we have definitive results which may confirm initial findings, the investigation team is asking all owners, operators and pilots to conduct a thorough inspection of all individual components within their gyro control systems to confirm that no cracking or bending of these components exists. Where suspicions are aroused, cease operations immediately and seek technical advice.Regards,Allan WardillTeam LeaderWise words. Thanks Allan.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Hi,Is there any update on what happened to Sam?I"m sure that many, like myself, have been checking back regularly to see if there"s any word.Thanks.Quoj

Comment

Gidday All,A draft report has been prepared for the Coroner but will not be finalised or released until the results of ATSB forensic tests are complete. These include metallurgical examination and attempted interrogation of data from electronic devices recovered from the wreck.As our work has a low priority with them, it is not known when that will be.Regards,Allan Wardill.
            Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

It"s been a good couple of months now.Is there any word on what happened to Sam and his Kruza?

Comment

Not to my knowledge so far.

Comment

This accident report is now in the "ASRA members only" section.

Comment

Murray, Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do we access the Members Only section.Regards,Wayne

Comment

Murray, Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do we access the Members Only section.Regards,WayneJust a wild guess here, but I would say you need to be logged into the ASRA forum as a member.Graeme.

Comment

Hi All,Yep only ASRA members can access this area.If you are having trouble contact the web-master.We need to keep this in house at the moment. Even though we have done all we can as far as the report is concerned the Coroner hasn"t had a hearing,so until then our report is for members information only.

Comment

Hi All,Yep only ASRA members can access this area.If you are having trouble contact the web-master.We need to keep this in house at the moment. Even though we have done all we can as far as the report is concerned the Coroner hasn"t had a hearing,so until then our report is for members information only.Murray,Thanks for the post, and my thanks to all the technical people who wrote this report, an excellent report on the cause of a tragedy, I know it would tear you to pieces having to do the job, but it is a job that is extremely well done.I have drawn my conclusions on this, I can see exactly why the crash occurred, but will say nothing until the coroner has delivered his verdict.I have one thing that MUST be added to the ASRA construction manual:Consideration for "Extreme Fibre Stress" in the design of all components that go into a control and structural system. In any crash that is a result of structural or control system failure, this one seems to crop up almost every time. The consideration must be that NO penetrations, cuts or deformations shall be performed on any member where the desired location is in the "extreme fibre stress" portion of the member.Added:Any and all connections to any member shall be through the neutral bending axis of the material where possible, unless it is proved that the connection cannot by any means be avoided in the extreme fibre stress portion of the component. Where such connections must be made in this way the component be suitable reinforced or strengthened to compensate, with a minimum fatigue cycle count to failure not less than 50,000,000 cycles at nominal operating stress cycle loading.Alternately the component shall be made from steel and engineered to a stress level at nominal operating forces such that the extreme fibre stress loading on the component is no more than 50Mpa or the "fatigue free" stress rating for the particular steel used. [Steel is the only metal that exhibits a "fatigue free" stress level where it will not fatigue if never stressed above this level.]What does "extreme fibre stress" mean?This is best explained in the format of trying to bend a horizontal timber plank over a fulcrum point, such as an edge. The fibres at the top are stretched, and the fibres at the bottom are squashed and being cut into by the fulcrum edge. The extreme fibre is the one that is being stretched or squashed at the very surface of the plank, if this one tears and fails, it begins to load the next one closer in that is still hanging on, if this one fails, it carries on into the next fibre that is holding... so you begin to see cracks on the outside of the plank indicating failure, if not relieved of its load the plank fails.. over time it looks like a fatigue failure. Metals do exhibit such failure at a microscopic level, but this soon develops into a macroscopic level, and then rapidly into the failure of the component.Hope this helps...Nic.

Comment

Murray, Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do we access the Members Only section.Regards,Waynego to "home" then "general" then "all ASRA members - only"Nic

Comment

I"m not sure how to contact the webmaster but my login doesn"t allow me to see the member only section either.

Comment

This will probably work, webmaster@asra.org.au, I found it on the ASRA web site under Board Members & OfficersGraeme.

Comment

Working...
                                X