Conventional to Overhead Cyclic Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conventional to Overhead Cyclic Controls

hello PAUL, the controls your describing is what I would think would be on a GYKE. rob patroni had these , being a gyke pilot. I had been in the back seat with him and noticed he could do everything he wanted , including put it down on the spot where ever he wanted. there could be a photo of rob sitting in his gyke with controls in a mag. HELLO MR EDITOR ROSS, can you use your magical powers to find something there for PAUL.

Comment

I am not a magician.
      Rob lives near you. Good chance for you to go for a long chat, and get one of his photos.
      Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Comment

you mean a long listen with rob . how is that fruit cake going , ready for despatch ????????

Comment

hello paul, from memory he never had a mixing unit, I am 100% sure he never had a mixing unit.. if you want a mixing unit you may as well kiss it. having a joy stick you always have the advantage of grabbing hold of the stick between your legs.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Tim; 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

he was good at it alright TIM. throwing it around his paddock below tree top level with me in the back and my long legs dangling out side his pod because he couldn't get all the movement he needed on his control bar, would of been a sight i'm sure.

Comment

Hey 4CA,

Rob was the only instructor endorsed to train pilots on his gyke. His rating is no longer valid. To my knowledge, there are no other instructors qualified to train with reverse sense overhead controls.So, unless you're going to train yourself (definitely not recommended), stay conventional.

Regards,

Waddles.
                    Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Comment

can you ever grab the bar with your knees if you need to ??? .

Comment

Comment

hello paul, something is wrong if you used more than 1 carbide insert. it should of been able to handle 4140 threads. vibration is a killer for carbide. not sure what you've got but hope that may help for next time. probably about 10 or 12 years ago there was a story in the mag of a gyro that was made somewhere, like SOUTH AFRICA. it was a stand up version. even in my younger years , it looked crap. but it also had a over head style control. cant remember if it even showed a mixer or gyke style. allans message of no gyke trainers available should be kept in mind. with normal controls I can rest my arm on my leg if needed. I see trike pilots seem to have super glued gloves onto a horizontal bar control . seems to be saying it is easier to keep hold of over a period of time. not sure what you would do with a vertical overhead stick. if ever you got rotar flap that upside down stick would be looking at puncturing some leg parts.

Comment

In the late 70s I built a trike and plonked my hang glider which i used to fly with a 10 hp engine and long shaft strapped to the keel on top. I mounted a 10hp engine with reduction on the trike and promptly destroyed it twice trying to orientate to the back to front stearing. I finally mastered it by thinking of my bum instead of my hands. I would never use the system on a gyro. Standard control stick is natural. You don't have to think. I went to the Philipines shortly after my second trike crash with badly skinned knuckles and the locals accused me of being a street fighter

Comment

Working...
                              X