sourcing materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sourcing materials

ok I am new to gyrocopters but not new to aviation.I downloaded the plans for the gyrobee and the question now is where to find the material to build the keel and mast, I'll worry about the rotorhead and other bits at a later stage.2x2 and 2x1 6061 t6 is what the plans state unless there's something better. Can anyone help with some info? Much appreciated. Konkvenetis

Hi Kon,Not sure if you have joined ASRA yet but that would definately be the first and best step to learn about Gyroplanes. I'm the editor of the ASRA quarterly magazine called Gyro News. There are advertisers in the magazine that supply the materials you are looking for.British International Trading in Sydney (02 9674 4566)(sales@britint.com.au)offer a 5% discount to ASRA members and have a fair amount of material in stock or can order in to customers requirements.Hope this helps,cheers,ArtArt SpinkGyroNews EditorWyangala/Maroubra NSW

Comment

Hi Kon,Not sure if you have joined ASRA yet but that would definately be the first and best step to learn about Gyroplanes. I'm the editor of the ASRA quarterly magazine called Gyro News. There are advertisers in the magazine that supply the materials you are looking for.British International Trading in Sydney (02 9674 4566)(sales@britint.com.au)offer a 5% discount to ASRA members and have a fair amount of material in stock or can order in to customers requirements.Hope this helps,cheers,ArtArt SpinkGyroNews EditorWyangala/Maroubra NSW

Comment

Comment

Comment

Kon,The gyro bee plans are for a reasonably light weight machine with a light weight engine, from what I understand they fly OK, it has been a while since I looked at the plan but I suspect that they are not centre line thrust, though they may have a large stabiliser at the back to compensate [CLT is a desirable trait, large stabilisers are desirable for all but the most experienced]. If you're familiar with home built machines you'll probably know you're up for about 200~300 hours of build time, that is with a good work shop.I would ask that if you haven't already done so, join a gyro club, do a TIF in a gyro, join ASRA as you'll have to get your build inspected through its progress if not at the end to have it registered and approved by a Technical Assistant / Officer of ASRA.I know you'd love to build but I strongly suggest purchasing a good second hand unit before you build, there are a large number of half built machines out there where people's dreams of building and flying have been buried in the dust over the aeons of time. Unless you are an exceptional pilot and take absolutely no risks and have no engine problems your pride and joy will probably not last past 120 hrs. I am careful and conservative, but with about 45 hours of flight time I trashed mine a little [$4k] in a moment of large stupidity, so 200 hours of your life could very quickly evaporate, if you want to get flying sooner, a build is the wrong way to go.Failing that, I suggest the use of 2.5 * 2" RHS, available from many sources, in the ASRA mag the Northern Rivers gyro club sells it along with other vital components. There are other people such as Jeff Henly-Smith, Jack Allen, Ross Symes to name a few, most contactable via ASRA who can help you with rotor heads, blades, structural components such as the keel / mast / axle sections and cheek plate materials, etc.If you can tell us where you are located we may be able to point you to a closer source.Read the 'what not to do' section under building before you proceed, that way you can avoid a few pitfalls before you meet them, some hard won lessons are in there and it is well worth the read.Cheers,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Kon,The gyro bee plans are for a reasonably light weight machine with a light weight engine, from what I understand they fly OK, it has been a while since I looked at the plan but I suspect that they are not centre line thrust, though they may have a large stabiliser at the back to compensate [CLT is a desirable trait, large stabilisers are desirable for all but the most experienced]. If you're familiar with home built machines you'll probably know you're up for about 200~300 hours of build time, that is with a good work shop.I would ask that if you haven't already done so, join a gyro club, do a TIF in a gyro, join ASRA as you'll have to get your build inspected through its progress if not at the end to have it registered and approved by a Technical Assistant / Officer of ASRA.I know you'd love to build but I strongly suggest purchasing a good second hand unit before you build, there are a large number of half built machines out there where people's dreams of building and flying have been buried in the dust over the aeons of time. Unless you are an exceptional pilot and take absolutely no risks and have no engine problems your pride and joy will probably not last past 120 hrs. I am careful and conservative, but with about 45 hours of flight time I trashed mine a little [$4k] in a moment of large stupidity, so 200 hours of your life could very quickly evaporate, if you want to get flying sooner, a build is the wrong way to go.Failing that, I suggest the use of 2.5 * 2" RHS, available from many sources, in the ASRA mag the Northern Rivers gyro club sells it along with other vital components. There are other people such as Jeff Henly-Smith, Jack Allen, Ross Symes to name a few, most contactable via ASRA who can help you with rotor heads, blades, structural components such as the keel / mast / axle sections and cheek plate materials, etc.If you can tell us where you are located we may be able to point you to a closer source.Read the 'what not to do' section under building before you proceed, that way you can avoid a few pitfalls before you meet them, some hard won lessons are in there and it is well worth the read.Cheers,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Comment

Comment

G'day Art,all I've done so far is to log in to this site. I definetely wish to become a member of ASRA as gyro flying is what I want to do. So whats involved in becoming a member of ASRA, who do I contact. Thanks for your prompt reply.CheersKonkvenetis

Comment

G'day Art,all I've done so far is to log in to this site. I definetely wish to become a member of ASRA as gyro flying is what I want to do. So whats involved in becoming a member of ASRA, who do I contact. Thanks for your prompt reply.CheersKonkvenetis

Comment

Comment

Comment

G'day Nocholas, I think the Gyrobee is a CLT machine but I will check again. I would like to do a TIF, and I need to join a club. I am in Brisbane. You also mentioned these half built machines that people have given up building, can you give me some more info although I would imagine building one from scratch would be very rewarding. Any input regarding which club to join, and where can I view some of their activities is appreciated.ThanksCheersKonkvenetis

Comment

G'day Nocholas, I think the Gyrobee is a CLT machine but I will check again. I would like to do a TIF, and I need to join a club. I am in Brisbane. You also mentioned these half built machines that people have given up building, can you give me some more info although I would imagine building one from scratch would be very rewarding. Any input regarding which club to join, and where can I view some of their activities is appreciated.ThanksCheersKonkvenetis

Comment

Working...
                              X