No announcement yet.

Looking for....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G"day DiscoYes I can send out copies of it for $10.00 including delivery.The powerpoint covers the following subjects.[i]What is a Gyroplane ?History & how they came about.Rotor airflow comparison. How do they fly ? (Asymmetry of lift)Stability Issues (low & high profiles)Stability Issues (Finding machine’s C of G)Limitations / Advantages.Different designs, & concepts.Governing bodiesThe Future ?Summary. “The Magic”

Comment

Thanks Sam,

Comment

thanks sam , its coming together better now. i might put in for that cd also, i ll give you a ring when i send the money thru .

Comment

No worries Tony have one here with your name on it.Hi Brian, yes I have some very high hopes for the new Kruza and its great to see it being built here in OZ.As you say, if Owen Dull also kicked into production again it would show case Australia as a leader in both design and construction techniques world wide.Understanding gyroplane thrust lines and CofG"s.One thing all aircraft have in common is a CofG (centre of gravity) The CofG (Centre of mass) is the aircrafts exact point of all movement (pitch, roll, and yaw) during flight. Why is this important? Well in the case of a gyro, they tend to be pitch un-stable compared to other aircraft. This is mainly due to the shorter tails we usually require to ensure they aren"t chopped off by the rotor.This pitch instability, means that the machine can easily pitch nose down in the case of a high thrust line, or up in the case of a low thrust line (during bursts of power) We can counter this by gaining some reactive control by use of a loaded horizontal stabilizer (HS). The biggest issue with this is, in order to stabilize the HTL (High Thrust Line) we need to ensure the HS is big enough, compared to its moment arm (length of the tail & keel) and negatively loaded enough to counter the pitching motion applied by the machines thrust line. This can only be proven by flying and testing, but can and does result in very stable flying machines. (in my opinion this is still what I would call a bandaid fix)The advantage of a CLT (Centre Line Thrust) machine is that during power on or off there is no pitching motion exerted to the machine in relation to its CofG. This means we no longer require the use of loaded HS and the stabilizer main function is to help stabilize the machines in adverse conditions (keep the tail flying behind the nose). The other advantage of CLT is by not having a HTL and negatively loaded HS, CLT machines usually achieve better climb rates, and faster speeds (due to less drag) with much better all-round stability.Now by finding the machines CofG by use of hang and balance test it allows us to see how the machine will react during power on and off only. What some people fail to see is that even a CLT machine may require a neg angled HS to counter a very large sloping low mounted (in relation to its CofG) cabin and windscreen. This is all to do with a machines aerodynamics (in relation to its CofG) and nothing to do with thrust lines. All about a machines centre of pressure in relation to its CofG. If this is getting all to complicated then think of it as the machines ability to weathercock into wind during a cross wind, a down draft, and also an up draft (or thermal) In the case of a perfect machine it should achieve all the above but also exhibit no aerodynamic pitching occurring from its pod/windscreen design, and no thrust line pitching due to its CLT design. This would be truly be a stable and efficient machine.I wrote this to help some of the newer pilots better understand gyro stability, and give them a better understanding of what makes a gyro stable. Hope this helps!!!!Regards Sam La Bruna.......

Comment

Sam,Concise and spot on with your explanation above. As you may be aware I am running a TA course in NQ later this year and would love to use your presentation to update some of my material. Any chance of you sending me a disk? PM me your bank details and I am happy to deposit the $10.Thanks,Adrian

Comment

PM Me too please.

Comment

No Problems, just send me a name, and address so I can get them out to you this week.Regards Sam.....

Comment

G"day Sam, I am interested in one as well. 0434460092RegardsKon Venetis

Comment

Working...
                  X