Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum flame

This forum's like a fire, that keeps on going out
    Every time I return, I feel I want to shout!
    Why won't this fire keep burning, are the topics wet
    or maybe punters are shy I bet.
    Some are having trouble
    signing on I know
    but if I can do it
    so can Tom and Joe
    Oh well I'll just keep plodding on
    In my merry way
    so for now, I bid you all Good day!

While I have been 'a member' since March last year, problems with the site prevented me from logging on - obviously all solved now. I am new to the obsession and find this forum to be both entertaining and somewhat educational, though I'm careful not to take people's opinions as fact without doing the research. I won't profess to have read all your posts Max, far from it, but this dalliance into prose must surely be breaking new ground! A novel way to elicit a response, which obviously worked as here I am tapping away. As new as I am I feel your frustration, but, as I stated in my only other post, I've a total of 45 minutes in a gyro so am not well-qualified to start a ground-breaking thread. I do check this forum daily to see what new topics might have been raised and am disappointed more times than not. People these days are time-poor, or maybe they are just not as passionate about things as they used to be. Regardless though, this is a worthy forum for investment of time and I shall endeavour to give my two cents worth on a regular basis.

Comment

why don't you tell us about the lead up to your 45 minutes and after, max won't mind. you would be surprised as to how much everyone would find it interesting. .

Comment

most important thing to remember is to learn how to fly straight and level warhorse. alas some of my mates just never got it , sad really because in their heads they think they are good and better than me.

Comment

Originally posted by tonydenton View Post
          why don't you tell us about the lead up to your 45 minutes and after, .
          Tony may pick up some pointers
          I know you like the faces Tone

Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

cheeky bugger ross

Comment

Gentlemen, not much of a story really. I spent many years in the Army, most of it flying Helicopters. Loved every minute of it. Have had an interest, albeit fleeting, in gyros since I saw 'Little Nellie' in "You only live twice" many many years ago. More recently I needed an affordable way to 'get my fix' of flying and rekindled a boyhood interest. As for my 45 minutes in a gyro, it was a Magni M16 - my obsession confirmed from the moment the engine came to life. A couple of things have conspired against more time in the saddle though: the "instructor" was a lecherous egotist who made my wife very uncomfortable; and, I am currently overseas for work. When I return I will get the appropriate training, purchase a gyro (I'm yet to decide on a make) and take to the skies. For the moment this forum, and youtube sate the obsession.

Comment

wow thanks for that , usually the wives want and love the "everything safe thing". well so I heard anyway. cause I don't have one.
                actually ross is really good, strange that he jumped in first and phoned me and left messages. WHAT'S up with that ross did I hit nerve or something. ok talking about hitting a nerve with . IT'S FRIDAY ya bludger , that means you never went to work again. so what day is hump day if you only work 4 days. like midnight on Tuesday night. that would make it hump night. and there is probably an opening there for you max.

Comment

• RossM
                  RossM commented
                  Editing a comment
                  get to work Tony

G'day all, i am another bloke that sits an listens and looks at this forum on a daily basis but never posts. Have not been a member for long, but am extremely keen to get into a gyro. I have been flying fix wing for a fair while and do a bit in heli but am very interested in gyro now for mustering etc. One thing i would love to know is why asra don't have any representation at the "Raglan" fly in at Raglan CQ. I would love to see a gyro or two there, as the aviation enthusiasts that turn up there is something to behold. Last year over the 3 days it was held there was 16000 plus people that attended and over 3000 people that camped on site. It is set up in a way that it inspires anyone and everyone to want to learn to fly, and the choice of flying machine is irrelevant. Anyone and everything aviation get together and learn so much from each other while walking around inspecting everything that taxis in. The only thing that's missing is GYROS. I don't know of anyone around that area that has a gyro, but surely a call could be put out to encourage some asra and/or member attendance. There i got it off me chest, now i can say I've posted.😆😥

Comment

Depending on what part of the country you live in Warhorse there is now the opportunity to hire gyros. The hire comes with conditions but can be a good option.
                  ASRA is happy to attend any flyin Squeak, but relies on local pilots for on the ground support.
                  if anyone hears of a flyin or Airshow in their area, let us know and we will put it on the website.

Comment

There you go Tony, up to Raglan. I live at Biloela, but I am 'on call ' for work, so cannot go to Raglan.
                    Tim.P. lives near Yeppoon.
                    The Old Station Fly In & Heritage Show is on at Raglan on 27th & 28th May
                    Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Great to see the 'fire' took off this time. Also great to see some new blood on the forum. I'm a 72 yr. old retired fart. My wife made me retire from instructing while I was still healthy. To instruct well you have to allow the student to make a few mistakes which is quite hair-raising. I now only fly in my custom ej25 2 seater for pleasure. I found ex helli. pilots easy to teach. Also young lads generally from the bush. As I'm retired I have more time to play with the forum than you poor bugger tax payers. A couple of my ex students won't talk to me any more because they discovered that I believe in ETs. But that's no loss. My wife wants me to write a book about my lifes adventures but I'm having too much fun flying gyro's.

Comment

I'll get that flyin put on the web site as well Ross.
                        How is Tim P, I haven't spoken with him for a while. We flew to Kununurra together last year.

Comment

I've just done 30 or so hours training with an 82 year old fella, talk about hair raising. I think he might have left it a bit late.
                          Younger students seem to get it a lot quicker. Had my first ex helicopter pilot student last week, he had it worked out within an hour.
                          Might have to be a bit careful what you put in that book Max.

Comment

G'day Mad Max, we who fly any type of aircraft are grateful for the likes of you, who have had white knuckles many times in the course of instructing. Good luck to you if you spend your time doin your own thing, and not contributing to government coffers. Some of us still have a ways to go yet. I am still yet to go for a fly in a gyro, don't know of any around the townsville/burdekin area, so will have to make it for a tif flight soon somewhere. So very keen to get into one these machines, would love to see one at raglan next weekend. Has anyone on this forum been to Raglan, and had a look at the effort that goes into that setup? It truly does defy belief that in the land of over regulation and liability in which we live that people can just walk in and around aircraft to satisfy their curiosity. So much more than just an airshow, have not heard a bad comment for years about it. If anyone can put me in contact with somebody around this neck of the woods that has a machine I'd be grateful. 😃

Comment

• RossM
                              RossM commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Look at the instructors list on the ASRA web site.
                              Rob.M trains out of Innisfail I think
                          Working...
                          X