Rick's rotor damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick's rotor damage

Did a hard landing and noticed one rotor with buckled skin on one foot inboard section of blade (24"ers)?!?

Would be nice to have a few more pictures a bit further away, showing most of the blade Johnc.

Comment

Okay max, will be home tomorrow and take lots shots.

Comment

Dont think they are Ricks. Ricks were extruded.Some more pics.I dinged a set of Jack Allans years ago and Jack re skinned them good as new.They would either be Gyrotec,Jack Allan, Bert Larkins or Gerrys.

Comment

G"day MuzHope these help.

Comment

Rick did make sum "skined" blades.My first [replacement] set were Rick fab blades.My Ricks also hada argument witha 4" gum sapling trunk.The impact was bout 1/3 from the tip and it flexed the LE spar so much that it parted and stretched the skins.Me be"n 10" tall n bullet proof, just pop riveted the skins together and flew anatha 30 odd hours while waitn for new ones.Setn um back to Rick n he checked um out, trimmed them down to 24"ers n they are still good.They are my spare spares.Noty sayn this was good aviation practice, but im not an aviater.

Comment

If these are Ricks, is he still around?

Comment

Yep, they are Ricks alright. Are they okay or not is a different story, cause they dont look too bad from the photos but that doesnt mean there is more serious damage underneath.Probably need someone to have a close look for you I reckon.Dont think Rick is in the

Comment

Probably need someone to have a close look for you I reckon.Yep.......anyone know who could do this?

Comment

Well I learnt something for today.

Comment

Good t ere ya not dead yet Muzz.

Comment

I"m very pleased to facilitate the interaction of members of this forum and even their further learning of obscure facts relating to the mode of manufacture of rotor blades by previous persons well known to older gyrocopter enthusiasts, however.........can someone answer my f@#$%*g enquiry >

Comment

Sorry Johnc, looks like know-one knows of a potential repair man. May be an opportunity to try your panel work and hole drilling skills. Don"t be afraid to ask questions.

Comment

Sorry bout my dummy spit lads

Comment

Know the feeling Johnc. When I got my first gyro, a crashed Bob Higgans in 1986 with a VW engine for $400 I Started repairing the Rotors as I was broke. I had already drilled out 250 rivets, and straightened the solid leading edges of the Rotordyne blades when some-one from ASRA Talked me out of going any further. I found the packet of new rivets very handy over the years for general use. The leading edges became "axles" on a few gyro"s.

Comment

Working...
                              X