subaru diesel gyro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subaru diesel gyro

I have been consistantly asked by a cattle station owner to convert his ej22 powered gyro to a diesel. He seems obsessed with the idea. I told him that I"m a coward and don"t like being the first man through a mine field. However I would make enquiries. Russ has briefed me on a few issues, but I was hoping maybe someone may of researched a little more on the subject. I asume you would firstly wait around for an entire crashed car. If the feedback indicates that the idea is insane, then I shall probably be relieved and pass it on. I asume the engine is all alloy? Acually, Iv"e not yet had the privilage of seeing one.

I haven"t heard or read of anyone doing a diesel conversion yet Max although thats not to say it hasnt happened !Brian Maloney from Queensland was about to start work on the diesel, he asked me if I would be a guinea pig to which I had no hesitation in saying yes too but, unfortunately Brian died suddenly before getting far down the track . Brian Maloney is the fellow who was the suby guru and there is no doubt he would have been the ideal bloke to get everything sorted out..

Comment

from memory looking at the suby diesel as an alternative there was over 100hp at a rev range that would negate the use of a gearbox, but not sure of the engines weight, still doing some r&d on it,slimy

Comment

found my info on suby diesel 108kw(approx 130hp)@3500rpm, best torque between 1800 to 2400rpm, good numbers for a direct drive setup, about the

Comment

Hey Max,I think there is one for sale near me. I have seen it in the local trader rag advertised as an alternative aircraft motor. I"ll see if I can find more info on price etc.Bill

Comment

Sounds like a great direct drive idea.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. This guy is no tyre kicker or fool. His son does the flying and has had the privilage of destroying 3 Gyro"s and is now on no.4 I think this one will last as the pilot has matured up a lot. I"m about to go south and familiarise him with his near new P. Green 2 seater and help re-sighn him with asra (most cowboys hate paper work more than I) The place is mataranka so I"m taking my swim trunks (I bet you miss that place Bill)

Comment

Max, by the way 108kw is 144 hp, so that should get you airborne OK.I wanted ASRA to have a dedicated diesel engine section on the forum after all the burn ups we were having with gyros and even went to the ASRA Board meeting at Arncliffe some years ago to propose this idea but was pretty much argued against by all at the meeting for some reasonand considered as a waste of time but I still think it"s a worthwhile idea from the safety point of view.Anyway, electric is the way to go. 2 Bearings and armature, that"s it.Hoges

Comment

Hey Max,Once everything settles here I"ll be back up there in a flash.

Comment

There is an interesting thread on the US forum, with some contactsto engine sellers:www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29550

Comment

Another info, this time on BMW diesel:www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34157

Comment

Hey Max,Found the ad. I rang, it has been sold.It may be worth touching base with the seller, Helmut at Foxcon Aircraft on 0418747751, as it was a new motor he was going to trial in the aircraft he manufacturers. I didn"t ask if he can access more motors.The unit was a EE20 150 hp with turbo, intercooler and ECU for $7900.RegardsBillP.S. This cold is starting to get to me. Got a spare bed?

Comment

G" day Bill, The cold is here in Darwin as well. 15deg. at first light. Did a 1hr. lesson this morning and had to wear a flying suit. The student has some fat (110kg) and wasn"t so cold. They say if you have 2 feet of fat around you, it will stop the average bullet! You would stay warm and float at sea, and maybe survive freefall into a ploughed paddock. Some advantages being fat. I will pass on the info. Thanks.

Comment

Just found out through Helmut that the EE20 diesel subaru weighs 130 kg without intercooler and turbo. We have therefore placed the Idea on hold.

Comment

Hey Max,When Julia makes it too expenseive to buy food with her much needed carbon tax, I definetly will last longer than you

Comment

Working...
                              X