Tony Denton's radio problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Denton's radio problem

Ok Tony I will get the ball rolling for you.Explain to me what exactly your radio does not do.Tell me what model radio you have and how you connect your microphone and headset (model number or types).That will give me something to start with and I"ll ask you some more specific questions after that. I may require some specific pics as well.Over to you and I will see if I can crack it remotely.Regards.......Chook.

hello chook, fantastic news of your enthusium. thank you.my radio receives fine but will not send, or will not send readable. will not send readable consistently.

Comment

ok chook, i"m keen as , my head and neck hurts from falling asleep at the computer last night. but I"ve been thinking some more. at the early stages in my head set I could always hear static pulses. big noisey pulsey static. I remember it wasn"t continuous . I also had a strobe light I bought from sam. I just put the pulses

Comment

Jeez Tony - this has been an expensive exercise for you.Excellent info. So the important points for me are :-I also asked the sales assistant to shorten the cable to suit.Excellent start. In radio installations we need to keep all of the cables short.a mate who had a swr meter. he brought it into work and tested it [ gyro on my trailer engine not running no rotors on ] and showed me that it was / should be working fine. This tells me that your system was working correctly at that time and that the antenna was outputting a good signal. My worry now is that you modified it by removing the ground plane and inverting the antenna. This may indeed be still working OK but you would have to confirm that with a SWR test. I have my concerns that it will not be as efficient now.the power to my radios is only via it"s own re chargeable battery. it"s not connected to my gyro mains battery power. You have eliminated so many problems by doing this and have cut the scenarios down considerably for me.[u][i]any testes on the ground and with the engine stopped

Comment

Tony,Chook is the man when it comes to the black art of radios and gyros!Good luck,Adrian S

Comment

thanks Adrian, I got excited when chook started the post. chook

Comment

chook, just going through your " as of today list " I actually prefer to use the VERTEX VXA-220. it seems more user friendly for me. and I have 2 of them.

Comment

chook, just going through your " as of today list " I actually prefer to use the VERTEX VXA-220. it seems more user friendly for me. and I have 2 of them.

Comment

I"ll have to try tomorrow for loading them chook.

Comment

ok I posted that last one while trying to do the photos . might be able to get help at work tomorrow to load them again. I do want to do that again so the lesson will be good.

Comment

Tony, sorry ,I"m going too fast.I assumed that at some stage you have already had the Vertex 220 working in your gyro already.From what you have replied it would seem that you are going to install one of the Vertex 220"s for the first time?The interface that I spoke about - usually manufacturers send out their helmets with connectors on their cords which don"t fit into the radios (transceivers) that people already have in their gyros. Some guys then need to purchase an "interface" cable which connects between your helmet with its existing connections to those connections on your transceiver. Sometimes people purchase a "box" (in your case the minicom) which requires power to do the same job and is able to perform other functions like another headset/intercom/Ipod connection etc.I want to avoid the "box" option at this stage because it can introduce other problems into the mix which I don"t want to do especially trying to correct a problem remotely as awe are doing here.One of the reasons I am doing this is to give other guys on the forum an idea of my fault finding technique so that they can look at their own system problems and I don"t get inundated with repair requests. It took me nearly 12 months to finally sort out Mr Stoffels radio problems over here and I was on site and able to monitor what was happening on that one with my own test equipment.OK now for some picsThe first one is the 4 pole or connectors on the shaft. I have included a standard stereo plug behind it which only has the 3 connections for reference. The shaft size is 3.5mm and the vertex definitely requires the 4 pole unit to work.The second pic shows the common BNC antenna cable connection on top (the one with the cable connected) Your Vertex uses a SMA connector (not so common) below it and I have used a 5c piece for size comparison.Let me know what type of connector your current antenna uses (probably the BNC). There is an easy fix if this is the case.Your question about the antenna. We want both of the elements connected with the longer one pointing up.We also want them mounted away from existing gyro metal framework (within reason). You want the tip of the antenna no closer than about 1.5m from your rotor disc and as far forward as possible. I will dedicate a post later to explain these requirements and share some of my experiences with mounting.Sorry Tony there is a lot in this post but if you go through the points one by one sequentially it should make sense. ANY queries just ask.Chook.

Comment

Hi Chook,You"re in charge of this fix and there can only be one person in charge of something like this if you want results so I"m not going to tell Tony to try anything directly.

Comment

test and ya bloody hoo. it a lot easier when some one with lovely perfume is leaning over my shoulder.

Comment

ok chook I am glad I loaded the photos as that will answer some of your questions as to my my difficult questions. I thought it was 4 plugs not a 4 pole plug ?????. me putting the antenna out the front was on the right track then [obviously it was just desperation thou ] . i"ll have

Comment

Gotcha Tony, No Problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X