No announcement yet.

Tony Denton's radio problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyway obviously I have refitted the mobile one antenna and ground plane back to position . the deminisions given suit the photo supplied.

Comment

exhaust out the back. this was just more practice at loading a photo. and the slits along the side. I think I have it, don"t forget it,don"t forget it.

Comment

Thanks Tony - I will be able to "recreate" that noise signature over here. Thanks.Chook.

Comment

chook, have you sent your e-mail address yet .if you have, I have to get it from my home computer course ,until I change my stats on the forum. which I need my pass word for.

Comment

Yes sent the details to the email in your profile.Do you have an active email that I can use?Or ring me

Comment

ok chook I was trying to rush them over so you would have more time before your trip, 2 aust post offices said for $60.00 it would be a week and for $158.00 it would be 48 hours. so now it"s 3 days plus the week end and your still waiting. : : : it might be tomorrow but definitely by Friday i"m told.for the same rate if I had paid the

Comment

Thanks Tony - yep AP are failures & theives and you won"t get an apology. I had a series of problems with them late last year and now don"t recommend them to anyone.I have my eye on some noise cancelling earphones for your helmet (@ the right price ;D) and also the arrival of some extra microphone inserts - all of which will probably arrive about Friday anyway so no time lost there.I"ll keep in touch with the SMS thing to keep you up to date.Regards...........Chook.

Comment

Tony I performed some tests on your headset on Sunday. The "test bed" was an EA81 machine very similar to yours but this one has a modified cam and straight through 2 1/4" exhausts 42" long - so pretty noisy which is what I wanted. I could only take the noise up to 3500 RPM as I didn"t want to get the thing airborne in the hangar!Firstly the microphone - I have removed the rather solid mounting grommet which was supporting your electret mike in the microphone boom and replaced it with some very low density foam. This just supports it very well and reduces the mechanical noise connection to the electret housing. I have also adjusted the gain control within the Peltor ear cup to give minimal noise interference when transmitting on your Vertex radio. I am still not convinced that the standard aviation mike may still be better. And of course I installed a new windsock to cover the microphone assembly. That test went very well with clear comms available at full noise.Now for the ANR tests.My promised set of Bose QC15"s did not arrive so I was left with only my Tiger units to do the testing with. I have previously tested them side by side (Bose versus Tiger)in a rather noisy Savannah fixed wing cockpit and found them similar in performance with the Bose ever so slightly better. During that test however the Tigers were installed in a standard (and rather average) ear shell which would have definitely compromised the results given that the Bose were in their factory designed ear shells.The Tigers when tested with the "noisy" EA81 on Sunday turned the noise form VERY loud to a dull background rumble (still using their average ear shells).Now the noise specs on your H10 Peltor ear shells are 31dB - which are about the best in the industry. They effectively have 2 ear shells - one within the other and separated by foam between the two. If we install some Tiger ANR kits within your existing Peltor ear shells then the resulting noise reduction will be very substantial.I am aware of a company in the US who are selling Tiger ANR kits (or an exact derivative of them - I would suggest that a Chinese company is producing the electronic inserts and various companies are using those in their own configurations) which will slot directly into the Peltor ear shells without significant modification and which also include the associated gel ear seals which are outstandingly comfortable and which provide the necessary seal around your ear for the ANR modules to work correctly. The complete kit is US$189 plus freight.As an aside - you need to know that this particular kit uses a separate 9 volt battery for its power source. There are ways to power that from your aircraft battery if you wish but testimonials on the web give it a battery life of about 15 - 20 hours. It is another consideration. All ANR assemblies require a power source, it just depends on how you wish to supply it.

Comment

Chook,The battery life for ANR headsets can be very sad, i have a set of bose ANR and the power supply is 2 AA, spose to last 40 hrs, so i thinks yeah i can live with that, sold a kidney(they wanted the second 1 too, frigging rediculasly priced) and got them, only to find out after they didnt have bluetooth which pissed me, frig me to death the batteries are lucky to last 12hrs, so i have thrown them in a corner somewhere(side note, must find them again) cause they were costing me more in batteries than i was spending on fuel.But they are comfy, and the noise level was much less than say my old standard DC, if only i could hook them up to run off the machine they be a good thing i think.Edit mind you i is only using uhf not vhf, which is much easier to work with from what i have found.

Comment

Hi Bones. Yes Tony rang me earlier today and we discussed his configuration.He will proceed down the ANR path with the battery option initially. I will be able to modify that later if he wishes as the kit comes with a battery box connected by a cable. This can be tied to the audio cable and the battery box anchored to somewhere near the transceiver connections. This then can later be integrated into the power system of the gyro, however that supply has to be VERY clean. In other words the 12 volt power supplying the radio audio circuits must not have any noise superimposed on it (eg ignition spark, electronic strobe or alternator noise).Bones your ANR headset has integrated batteries within the headset which can also be supplied from your gyro. Again the supply has to be "squeaky clean" but is is doable. "Edit mind you i is only using uhf not vhf, which is much easier to work with from what i have found."Yes the combination of interfacing the helmet to 2 different transceivers can be tricky. There are a few solutions on the market but the trick is finding one that connects to your 3 variables - helmet, UHF & VHF.One of our station owners over here has one but it wasn"t easy to set up. His other problem is that he lives and works about 200m from the ocean and the corrosion is murder on the electronics. I am about to visit him again in a week or so and am not looking forward to it. I"ll be taking a swag of spares with me to try and get him going again and keep our fleet running as well. You blokes over there really need a radio tech!!Regards......Chook.

Comment

Hi Bones. Yes Tony rang me earlier today and we discussed his configuration.He will proceed down the ANR path with the battery option initially. I will be able to modify that later if he wishes as the kit comes with a battery box connected by a cable. This can be tied to the audio cable and the battery box anchored to somewhere near the transceiver connections. This then can later be integrated into the power system of the gyro, however that supply has to be VERY clean. In other words the 12 volt power supplying the radio audio circuits must not have any noise superimposed on it (eg ignition spark, electronic strobe or alternator noise).Bones your ANR headset has integrated batteries within the headset which can also be supplied from your gyro. Again the supply has to be "squeaky clean" but is is doable. "Edit mind you i is only using uhf not vhf, which is much easier to work with from what i have found."Yes the combination of interfacing the helmet to 2 different transceivers can be tricky. There are a few solutions on the market but the trick is finding one that connects to your 3 variables - helmet, UHF & VHF.One of our station owners over here has one but it wasn"t easy to set up. His other problem is that he lives and works about 200m from the ocean and the corrosion is murder on the electronics. I am about to visit him again in a week or so and am not looking forward to it. I"ll be taking a swag of spares with me to try and get him going again and keep our fleet running as well. You blokes over there really need a radio tech!!Regards......Chook.Why, don"t you do house calls Chook?Graeme.

Comment

hello grahamme, that"s a very interesting point, admittedly getting some one to do house calls would be hard but taking it a bit further I was wanting to ask/suggest/consider from the board if they bought a S.W.R. meter and made it for hire. seeing radios is such a massive problem [ and i"s not just gyro"s , even bloody gliders have problems too]. a typical hire would be , pay a big deposit and also have it insured during freight etc. of course it could be damaged by the inexpericenced user but maybe????? it seems to be the hardest part of flying sort of, or maybe just to clubs ???????? I did promise chook I wouldn"t GOOD MOUTH him on the forum. so i"m not cause he still has all of my stuff. which by the way I got $50.00 back from aust post today for the 1 week delay in sending. yahoo.

Comment

Well f*ck my dog.Thats about all i can say after wasting about 3 hrs trying to get the radio to work like it did the last time i used it.You see i thought the aerial was in a bad spot, so i moved it, and in my very rough test the other day, Peg could understand every word even about 40 kms away on the eastern boundary, so i was so happy i packed it away and had a few beers

Comment

Why, don"t you do house calls Chook?Graeme.It"s such a loooong way over there.The other problem is when you start getting into the innards of some of the kit that"s getting around today it requires some specialized tools to work on it.And I"m not getting any younger so I have a dentists light mounted above my bench and a nice strong magnifying lamp/lens assembly.The other problem is that all of the electronic kit available today is very sensitive to static electricity which destroys the fragile electronics we use today. So when I open the "bits" it"s within a clean room with an anti static bench.I take working on aviation kit very seriously so all of this "stuff" would have to be carried around with me. Then there is the spare parts - and on it goes.HOWEVER - while sourcing Tony"s ANR inserts I tried purchasing them from the yanks but they directed me to a local agent here in Australia - in fact in Richmond NSW.Now this guy actually works in the aviation world and sounds very reasonable. Even better he has already performed some work on gyro helmets and understands the noise problems that we endure. I will see if he is interested in assisting you lot ;DBones I love your post. It is entertaining and it also tells me that you are having a crack at your own problems - I hope as a result of what I have been posting.Don"t give up - remember it took us nearly 9 months to sort out Stoffels issues. Regards..........Chook.

Comment

Why, don"t you do house calls Chook?Graeme.It"s such a loooong way over there.The other problem is when you start getting into the innards of some of the kit that"s getting around today it requires some specialized tools to work on it.And I"m not getting any younger so I have a dentists light mounted above my bench and a nice strong magnifying lamp/lens assembly.The other problem is that all of the electronic kit available today is very sensitive to static electricity which destroys the fragile electronics we use today. So when I open the "bits" it"s within a clean room with an anti static bench.I take working on aviation kit very seriously so all of this "stuff" would have to be carried around with me. Then there is the spare parts - and on it goes.HOWEVER - while sourcing Tony"s ANR inserts I tried purchasing them from the yanks but they directed me to a local agent here in Australia - in fact in Richmond NSW.Now this guy actually works in the aviation world and sounds very reasonable. Even better he has already performed some work on gyro helmets and understands the noise problems that we endure. I will see if he is interested in assisting you lot ;DBones I love your post. It is entertaining and it also tells me that you are having a crack at your own problems - I hope as a result of what I have been posting.Don"t give up - remember it took us nearly 9 months to sort out Stoffels issues. Regards..........Chook.He is ex navy isn"t he ? That would mess with someone for life.Chook, if that bloke from NSW is ok with your giving us his details that would be good.Graeme.

Comment

Working...
                                X