Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise cancelling headphones- who has em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok "stay tuned " that"s a little radio repair tech joke.

Comment

Another trick with the helmet is to pack the foam out around your ear so that it seals other noise out. The mike can just be glued to the chin piece, it doesn"t have to be super close to your mouth. I use the single pin military plug to plug into a jack on the panel. Icom has its own power supply and filter separate from ignition harness. The fullface is good cause it keeps the wind noise off the mike.Yes Browny- that incidentally is also the function (as well as comfort) of the gel seals, but of course you have to have the room available within the helmet to accommodate the headphone "cups" for the gel seals to work.The microphone in the front of the helmet chin guard also works but be aware that any noise absorbed by the helmet (ie engine noise "hitting" the rear of the helmet) will be presented to the microphone mechanically through the fibreglass. The mic should be mounted within rubber (soft rubber) and then glued to the helmet. Similarly the wiring is another conduit to presenting noise to the microphone and should be as fine as possible.ARRRRG so many things to consider.Regards.........Chook.

Comment

Yes Browny- that incidentally is also the function (as well as comfort) of the gel seals, but of course you have to have the room available within the helmet to accommodate the headphone "cups" for the gel seals to work.The microphone in the front of the helmet chin guard also works but be aware that any noise absorbed by the helmet (ie engine noise "hitting" the rear of the helmet) will be presented to the microphone mechanically through the fibreglass. The mic should be mounted within rubber (soft rubber) and then glued to the helmet. Similarly the wiring is another conduit to presenting noise to the microphone and should be as fine as possible.ARRRRG so many things to consider.Regards.........Chook.Ahhh, " mike mounted in rubber" !! Didnt think about fiberglass causing a problem !!!Has anyone put a headset into a helmet ?Clarity Aloft is another very good set up apparently. Been recommended by a couple of people.With this new gyro, I can fly all the time with the visor up so this fact opens up opportunities with other types of helmets that I couldn"t previously consider.

Comment

when chook had described some of the problems I had said " so it could be fixed by wrapping my helmut and headset with me in it inside foam and duct tape ". I can only get that when it"s been explained properly. no wonder no one else has been able to fix it.

Comment

Does anyone know of a radio tech that could assist with the connection of a bose A20 ANRheadset directly to UHF.

Comment

hello chook, just a follow up to my testing, a couple of weeks back I was on the ground and spoke to the club radio and they asked what had I done to fix my radio , told them I sent it to W.A. reading was good and then got in the air and asked again and was still good and then flew about 5 k away with my back to the strip and asked again and was still good. so I"m as happy as.

Comment

Thanks Tony.Incidentally how long are you getting out of your 9 volt battery for the noise cancelling headphones?Regards...Chook.

Comment

chook my work level has been high and flying time has been embrassingly very low. still the same battery mate. :-[ :-[ :-[ without looking it up in my log book I would guess less than ten since I got it back from you. I think my glasses frame holds the cup out a bit on the boom mike side, is why I don"t get 5/5. I know I used my sunglasses once and it dropped down considerably . the cups and automatic noise reduction is that good that I"m sure I could tell it was because of the sunglasses frame being much wider than my normal wire frame "day glasses." my every day

Comment

Aggro I was interested in the digital radio you mentioned. I couldn"t find it online but I looked on prestige communications site and noticed that none of the 80channel CB radios were digital. I wonder if you mean the screen is digital or the transmission is digital. If it is digital(signal), none of the other generic radios would be able to decode your signal.Anyway. I have had mixed success with using the 80 channel with a 40 channel and am wondering if that"s what your doing? If your ground crew have 40 channel still and your using 80 that alone might explain your observations of range and lack of clarity.

Comment

Dean, I have worked on a station owners Xcom (VHF)/GME 3500 (UHF)/Micro avionics combination with success.He originally had a GME3100 series which was replaced with the 3500 and we were warned of the differences before the install.I am not sure but wonder whether Micro avionics has some compression happening within the circuitry as the comms between the 3500 and the wideband ground stations were unaffected. (remember the standard for comms is only 300 - 3000hz anyway and probably less for radio)We were tearing our hair out at one stage as his transmissions were distorting after the rotax reached anything above 3000rpm.(Faulty loose connector in a coax conversion plug which took me a couple of days to find after the owner had to bring it to my workshop - 1800km round trip!!)I digress.Regards....Chook.

Comment

Working...
                      X