Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who owns the gyro on the register with the Evinrude outboard engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who owns the gyro on the register with the Evinrude outboard engine?

I have been wondering about the possibility and success probability of adapting a motor from an outboard onto a gyro? I noticed somewhere on the register there is a gyro with Evinrude power, just wondering if outboard motor engines are a good prospect for us, or too hard and complicated? Or if there are any other issues?My thoughts on them are they are very reliable (unless poorly maintained or effected by salt), the electrics are all complete and compact, the engines are short and fairly light and you can basically choose your horsepower..... can be straight 3 2 stroke, or V4 or 6 and even 4 strokes. The flywheel and starter are the top (front for us) and they have an easy shaft arrangement on the bottom (prop end for us) with a strong block and good bolt pattern for an adapter to a rotax C box....To me they seem pretty obvious as a possibility for us, at least worth looking into.... all they would need is an adapter on the water jacket, in and out to suit a radiator and an electric water pump.... an adapter for a C box and the box itself. I would like to hear any thoughts or peoples experiences with them, and yes, I am aware that a 912 or 914 would be much better, but for us without $36,000 to spare.... the possibility of a new outboard for less than $15K, $3K to buy and adapt a C box.... makes it a more achievable goal....Thoughts please, and who owns the Evinrude gyro?

I think you"re after Col Morris from Milton. He did all the engine work himself and would have lots of answers for you.

Comment

Thanks Disco.... does he ever get on here?

Comment

The "Viking" engine is built on the Honda Fit donk which is also hapens to be the base for some

Comment

I am aware that a (!@ or 914 would be much better, but for us without $36,000 to spare.... the possibility of a new outboard for less than $15K, $3K to buy and adapt a C box.... makes it a more achievable goal.... Actually, a brand spanker 912ULS is closer to 18K than 36K. Miles

Comment

the 1 I remember was actually a mercury I"m sure. 225 hp. it really sounded like a boat flying over head

Comment

Muz - Honda outboard 115 - 150 hp is a K24 engine ( CR-V inline 4). Honda outboard 175 - 225 hp is a J35a4 engine ( Odyssey v6). Done some digging and I could get a J35a4 (exhaust manifold cast into the head, just a 4 bolt flange ) for $3500 with computer and everything plus $3000 for a Autoflight redrive.

Comment

I don"t think Col has ever been on here MadMuz.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like it.... I am thinking more of between 100-130 Hp....just for single place.... even a 90Hp 2 stroke?

Comment

hi guysi know of that machine,it turned up at singleton one weekend back in the

Comment

I am thinking more of between 100-130 Hp....just for single place.... even a 90Hp 2 stroke? trust me if you need more than 100hp in a 4 stroke on a single, you are doing something real wrong, i had a 914 on a single. and only ever used full snot on take off for about 10secs, and a couple of time an hr working, 100 hp 912 is more, way more than the average guy will ever need.Edit,,,, and i will beat Birdy to it, and im a fat c**t

Comment

It has just come back to me.

Comment

Howdy,I"ve just picked up on this thread - the gyro is G150 and it does indeed belong to Colin Morris from Mollymook NSW.

Comment

Thanks Mark.... that certainly looks awesome

Comment

I"m pretty sure it"s still under a carport in Col"s backyard. He fitted a more powerful outboard too.

Comment

Working...
                              X