Lucky or Unlucky ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky or Unlucky ??

Put a new C box on my gyro and was torquing up one of the eight bolts that go through the box into the alloy backing plate [there are 4 inside the box and 4 outside when it didnt feel quite right however I gave the bolt one more quarter turn when "bang" went the bolt and a sickening feeling went through my stomach. Using a pair of pliers, I grabbed the bolt head and felt resistance so I gently tried unscrewing the bolt and out it came. There was one very relieved fellow there I can tell you !!!!After examining the bolt hole and the thread of the bolt, I got one of the bolts from the old box and tried again, this time there was no binding and the bolt torqued up as the other 7 had done before.Hopefully there will be a photo of the bolt attached and perhaps someone might comment on what happened. I followed the books instructions !Image Insert: 60.32

Brian,There are dodgy bolts, they aren't all proof tested.Have a look at the end grain, that will tell you, and me, alot more..Regards,Nick.

Comment

Brian, that looks like one of those safety bolts you can get - stops you torqueing them up too much.Sure you didn't get Menzy to torque that one up for you?Tim McClure

Comment

Nope, had no one helping me !!! Its not as if I havent done these up before but it was the first time ever using a torque wrench....and the last, I will go back to the old way !!Will do that Nick and yes, I know there are dodgy bolts and that was one of them, just frightened me when it let go !!Brian

Comment

I don't still have a photo of it but I too bought a c box around 3 years ago and one of the bolts had a crack running up its entire length that was plainly a manufacturing fault.I reported it to the local agent and AUF (back then). The supplier offered a new bolt but didn't really seem to care. I was very surprised by their response.Maybe they get it frequently.telfFlying - The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. (Douglas Adams-The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Comment

Working...
          X