Flashing Lights and Gyro Visibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing Lights and Gyro Visibility

I'm looking for some suggestions on what can be done to make a gyro more visible to other aircraft.Anything related to the types of strobes ,flashing lights and landing lights. What brands/types works well on rotorcraft.What is the best method and mounting best location etc....ThanksRoss B

G'Day Ross,I haven't ever seen mine in flight, but I have been told it's pretty visible. I'm quite sceptical about a lot of the strobes and rotating beacons, sure you can see them well at a distance, but that's only once you have directed you 1 degree cone of central vision to it. In fact the thing that got your central vision there was the perception of your peripheral

Comment

RossB,I agree with John on this one,I have an open frame machine and according to people on the ground my red tail is much more visible than my beacon.Bruce[]

Comment

Most people here reckon a beacon would be a waste of money coz they wouldn't see it for the trees.[}][]

Comment

Ross, just checking my CASA Instrument and it has conditions:- This permission is subject to the following conditions:.......condition number 6 of 8 .....6. "The gyroplane when operated within 8km of a licensed aerodrome or above 500 feet must have a flashing beacon fitted and in use."Having seen gyros with big flashing beacons in the air, I've never seen the beacon! The RAF double headlight is good however if its coming straight at you. BTW I'm told the disgusting colour of my tail and pod is quite visible.Dave

Comment

I reckon Birdy would look better with a beak on!

Comment

RossB,Here I go again...........We went down this be seen in the air problem approx 15 years ago starting when Peter Roberts put one on his Gyroplane, the evaluation goes something like this.To be seen the light must be bright, brightness takes a lot of watts, to get a lot of watts the "Helogen" lamp comes into play, the high wattage models, 100 - 115 watts, unfortunatly this brings us to the large very expensive "Hella" beacon where the Lamp and the reflector both revolve, (there is a cheaper replacement, the other type which only have the reflector revolving around the lamp are absolutely useless, it is also to be noted that Helogen lamps do not like vibrations so on my aircraft which has a Rotax 100hp 912 with 10 to one compression ratio and shakes every thing on startup, and as such I was continually going through lamps, this required some shock absorbion, mounting with "Hoover" motor rubber mounting studs.As can be seen taking the lower case senario of 100 watts on a "nominal" voltage of 12 volts equates to more power than any of the little two strokes charging can handle, even my 912 without the auxillary alternator has trouble, however, the Subaru units with a real alternator are ok, it is to be noted that the "Hella" was designed for a 55 watt Helogen lamp, like everything you get nothing fo nothing. Pete BarsdenPete Barsden

Comment

Ross, I beleive I have your answer !The SC 103 as advertised in the for sale section.This is a very small self contained strobe light. It is fitted with a xenon flash tube and not a filliment bulb.This means it is not prone to vibration brackage like a filiment bulb. It also means this is a real strobe that works on very high voltages to produce the extremely large light output.The SC103 complies to F.A.R.(federal aviation regulations)103, and has been actual flight tested during daylight to 3 miles. Xenon tubes are prone to damage by undervoltage situations and so the SC103 has a built in saftey circuit that switches it off if the voltage drops below 10 vdc.There have been more than 3000 of these strobes sold in the U.S for ultralight use.Ive got one on my gyro combined with a 55 watt spot on the front, total calculated power usage from both is (strobe 0.5 amps) and (spot 4.58 amps), total is 5.8 amps.You can see the strobe with its exellent light output is also very efficient."Be Seen and Stay alive" Regards Sam Image Insert:Image Insert:Image Insert:

Comment

I remain sceptical as to their effectiveness in sunlight, especially if they do not simulate movement. Where practical our best collision avoidance tactic is to fly below 500'.John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

or fly at night.M Barker

Comment

goddam it makes me nervous to see all these bl**dy nice clean and well painted gyros in here, no wonder why i dont want to post a close up pic of mine..The only two things i make sure that are clean is fuel and air cleaner, am i missing something here..Mark

Comment

Good thinking Murray!Gee Bones 070 didn't your mother teach you to wash behind your ears and wear clean underwear?John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

[]One thing to keep in mind is these strobe lights comply to the same standards used with strobes fitted to Cessnas, Warriers, and all light aircraft. If they use these types of strobes, then they must be effective.When fitting a strobe, a light, or a beacon to your machine, you must compare it to insurance, if something was to happen, and it was the strobe, or light that alerted the other pilot, and gave him 5 extra seconds to prevent a mid air colision, then it was worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Be seen and Stay Alive regards Sam

Comment

Hey Bonsy, those pics were Trikes. They can't fly much because of the wind, so they have time to polish them!!!!!!!!!!!Aussie Paul. []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

dont worry Paul i could tell a few yarns like birdys yarns about some of the stupid thing people do with light air craft in high winds... but yeah i see your pointMark

Comment

Working...
                              X