Vertical decent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical decent

Dear Gents: Birdy's post on teetering limits seems to have run out of puff, either that or I feel I am being ostrasised for poor attendance, anyway I am asking for clarification on just what the opposing viewpoints were with regard to teeter stop impact.we all seem to understand what Birdy and the regular respondants are thinking but it still remains unclear just what the oposing argument is (yet the responses still came).Birdy has hinted that there was an element of vertical decent involved in the argument.According to my understanding of gyro's a vertical decent in still air is not only improbable but impossible for a gyro.Has anyone seen a gyro do a vertical decent in still air?I would also like to accuse the regular fraternity of using to many abreviations and slang,( and occasional pointless dribble) thus making it difficult (or unrewarding)for new or not so chatty members to follow.

might be handy if you could fly a gyro. You could then understand what happens WHEN a gyro does an improbable or impossible vertical descent.This improbable or impossible capability is very handy when wanting to loose some altitude, for example, if one is a little high on their approach etc.sorry about the abreiviation of ectetera (and of course, the pointless dribble)Mark.

Comment

might be handy if you could fly a gyro. You could then understand what happens WHEN a gyro does an improbable or impossible vertical descent.This improbable or impossible capability is very handy when wanting to loose some altitude, for example, if one is a little high on their approach etc.sorry about the abreiviation of ectetera (and of course, the pointless dribble)Mark.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Alex, gyros are capable of vertical decent in still air, under full control and if you do the sums you will find that the angle of the relative air striking the blades is very little different to that in forward flight. They will decend something akin to parachute speed. In this case the rotors do not teeter (no forward speed).I am not sure what Birdy's mates opposing view was.Beginner's quotation - "I hit a bad gust of wind just as I took off"Tim McClureBroken Hill

Comment

Alex, gyros are capable of vertical decent in still air, under full control and if you do the sums you will find that the angle of the relative air striking the blades is very little different to that in forward flight. They will decend something akin to parachute speed. In this case the rotors do not teeter (no forward speed).I am not sure what Birdy's mates opposing view was.Beginner's quotation - "I hit a bad gust of wind just as I took off"Tim McClureBroken Hill

Comment

Comment

Comment

Dear Tim and mark thanks for the response.I do hope to get a gyro in the future and thus also learn to fly, I cut my teeth as a maintenance engineer on helicopters and I guess I have followed on with the idea of translational lift (ie; forward airspeed)which is also a very gyro thing. The thought of trying an unpowered vertical decent from height in still air in a helicopter is discouraged.I will accept on your experience then that this is a normal manouver, in which case back to Birdy's mate in a vertical decent; he's not going to be any where near the teeter stops as has been stated several times. Can anyone shake Birdy out of his nest to find out what ws going through his mind in the first place?AJGyro Gearloose

Comment

Dear Tim and mark thanks for the response.I do hope to get a gyro in the future and thus also learn to fly, I cut my teeth as a maintenance engineer on helicopters and I guess I have followed on with the idea of translational lift (ie; forward airspeed)which is also a very gyro thing. The thought of trying an unpowered vertical decent from height in still air in a helicopter is discouraged.I will accept on your experience then that this is a normal manouver, in which case back to Birdy's mate in a vertical decent; he's not going to be any where near the teeter stops as has been stated several times. Can anyone shake Birdy out of his nest to find out what ws going through his mind in the first place?AJGyro Gearloose

Comment

Comment

Comment

Yeh Alex, i'm ere, but i can't realy get a grasp of your point.I'll admit i asked a pretty simple question, and got alota complicated and off track answers, but i eventualy got wot i was after. That being the greatest teetering action is happening at the highest airspeed. [as opposed to min AS under full power, which was the oppposing argument i got origionaly.]The refreance to virtical decents was only a way of pointing out the opposite extream, ie; no teetering action.And yes, gyros are perfectly safe in a true virtical decent, with or with out power, solong as you never let it go backwards.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.birdy, here.

Comment

Yeh Alex, i'm ere, but i can't realy get a grasp of your point.I'll admit i asked a pretty simple question, and got alota complicated and off track answers, but i eventualy got wot i was after. That being the greatest teetering action is happening at the highest airspeed. [as opposed to min AS under full power, which was the oppposing argument i got origionaly.]The refreance to virtical decents was only a way of pointing out the opposite extream, ie; no teetering action.And yes, gyros are perfectly safe in a true virtical decent, with or with out power, solong as you never let it go backwards.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.birdy, here.

Comment

Working...
                              X