Bill Drewery has come and taken.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Drewery has come and taken.....

...his machine back to Broken Hill. Today was 20kt plus, gusty winds, and Bill flew me around in grand style.[]I have enjoyed the further learning process of conveting Bills machine to a "much improved stability wise" machine. I probably should have said from a "terribly pitch unstable" gyro to a "gyro that will now fly stick fixed in rough air".[]I wonder if that is what that "chalk and cheese" saying means[?]It was certainly a pleasure to work with Roscos engineering and building skills. Rosco sure knows how to build a well engineered structurally tough gyro.[^]Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Been saying that for ages Paul,while Rosco's gyro's might not be politically correct in regard to CLT, they are well designed and extremely well built with all components used having many thousands of hours testing time in the outback harshness being flown by pilots in trying conditions .Any person purchasing a Rosco or Tim's machines can buy and fly in confidence and not have to be a test pilot!!

Comment

Aah, come on Brian, "politically correct". Geeez, you are joking aren't you[?]Yes, Roscos machines are well designed and extremely well built engineering wise, but they are less safe than a CLT machine. This is fact, not politically correct, this is lives at risk, whether you realise it of not, Brian.Although I suppose there are still people, like yourself Brian, who will not accept universally proven and well and truly documented physics and aerodynamics!!!![:0] That's life I guess!![] LOLIt is great to see more and more pics in magazines around the world of people building CLT gyros. The word is getting out to the newbies who search out the information via modern technology like the "Web" and make up their own minds from the facts. The "old dogs that can't be taught new tricks" will eventually fade away and the new breed of gyro flyer and builder will be much safer than before the "penny dropped" re CLT.[^]We were all in that boat at some time, or at least I was, but thank goodness, I did have an open mind.I don't know why you keep "having a go at me" Brian, you cannot win against universally proven and well and truly documented physics and aerodynamics!!! Sorry.[] but you are right about the "outback toughness" of Roscos gyros.Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Reckon if you used the "LOL" a bit less Paul ,some people may take you a little more seriously.LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Comment

You could be right Birdy.[] The main thing is "the newbies are taking notice".[^]The "old dogs that can't be taught new tricks" are not a problem. It is the newbies, as Brian said in another thread, that are most likely to bend something, or as I say could die because of poor machine design.WE (the pitch stability supporters)[^] are slowly seeing the newbies searching out the information via modern technology like the "Web" and make up their own minds from the facts.[]Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Paul, I'm not having a go at you, merely stating the obvious and thats fact. I dont know how many Rosco/ Tim's gyros around and exactly how many hours that have accumalated but I would be prepared to say that most gyro manufacture's anywhere in the world, would be envious of their record, both in safety and standing behind their product.They also can fit up radios and helmets and all in the one shop and can, when you bend something, fix it !!Paul, I'm not against CLT, I do understand the physics and can see the argument why its good to have CLT. Somewhere in the near future [hopefully] I will have a 2 seater built and it will be CLT and mayby tall tail !!

Comment

thanks again paul i just hope people ask around more than i did before ordering a new gyro get all the information first then make your choicew drewery

Comment

Paul said - "conveting Bills machine to a "much improved stability wise" machine. I probably should have said from a "terribly pitch unstable" gyro to a "gyro that will now fly stick fixed in rough air".I wonder if that is what that "chalk and cheese" saying means"Paul, it is a pity you did not fly this machine before you did your conversion. If you had, you would have been in a position to qualify that statement.Tim McClure

Comment

Hmmmmm..............didn't you know bout Paul Tim, he only needs a pic to be able to tell how it'll fly.

Comment

Tim said,Paul, it is a pity you did not fly this machine before you did your conversion.I take it you are joking Tim[?]Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

I apoligise Paul if I was wrong.How much time did you put on the machine and what stability flight tests did you do before converting it?Tim McClure

Comment

Apology accepted Tim. [^]I am off to WA tomorrow to have a weeks R&R with Eril, and then send her home to make money!!!! while I go to Perth to inspect and certify a modified Raf, and then down to Margaret River to finish training the Magni agent in his M-16.Question[?][?][?] How do I manage to make a small fortune out of gyroplanes[?][?][?] I use Erils large wage!!!!![:0][:0][:0]Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Paul test flew mine, demonstrated that it did nose down under power surges, but not too badly.Did the hang and balance tests, determined it was 3" high, and suggested not re-engineering it to fix it.Maybe just move the stabiliser back a bit.He does test fly them. He does measure them scientifically, and he does not automatically suggest drastic modification.

Comment

PAUL i had the first chance to fly on sunday since i got the gyro home it flys alot smoother in reasonable rough air so iam happy with itw drewery

Comment

Hi Fella's, Just thought it was about time i offered my 2 cents worth , yes i am a newby, well to gyro's anyway.I have been researching gyroplanes for 2 years trying to learn as much as i can before i commit my life to flying in one, which i might point out has not happened as yet lol sometimes i think the fella up stairs is trying to tell me something , Why you ask ok , i'll tell. Many years ago now when i was about 20 i was at rylstone where there was a gathering of aviators who flew gyros and ultralights well i was like a pig in mud as happy as can be , and even more so when i realised they were doing gyro glider flights for the general public.Well i forgot all about lunch and waited in the long line in anticipation of feeling what it was like . As i was waiting for my turn the person in front was strapped in and off they went down the strip being towed by and old ute then there was a cloud of dust off in the distance , yes it crashed not too bad but towing was halted for the day. Yes i was dissapointed but relieved as well as i was next up. Then several years later my brother in laws best friends father was killed in his gyro just out side of Mudgee which scared the crap out of me as i had heard he was a good pilot,As much as gyros scare me and they still do i am still drawn to them almost like a magnet i guess. Any way i took up hangliding and did that for a number of years untill while flying over a mountain range i nearly tumbled due to an extremely powerfull thermal, never in my life have i been so scared so i landed sold the glider and never flew again and that was 15 years ago.Then i satarted buying pacific flyer mags and there were soories on gyros and one that caught my eye was a fellow named Paul who was modifying a raaf gyro by placing a horizontal tail on it so that started my interest again and what impressed me was that he said he had over 3000 hrs flying in gyros first aircommand i think " don't quote me on that " and i asked myself if someone can accumulate 3000 hrs in gyros then they can't be that dangerous "or can they" so started my quest to learn as much as i can . So since i have had my computer i have read everything i can and listened to any one who had an oppinon and today i have decided that i am going to build and eventualy fly my own gyro . My gyro is going to be a centre line thrust machine "NO BUTS" and at the moment there are two machines that stand out for me , The butterfly is on the top of my list and i have read the flight report on Greg mitchels machine so i will be watching his progress very closely the second one is Rotor hawkes sparrow which is an tall tail centre line thrust machine with a dropped keel. .both of these machines i belive are in the ultralight category which is fine by me as i only weigh 65 kg, also not out of the picture entirely is the gyrobee which is offered in kit form by star bee gyro's as i have been reading the forums on it's developement and flying. I have not been successful as yet in going for a tif although i did try about 12 months ago but the Graften club had some problems with site , then i met a very knowledgable gyro flyer by the name of Max Tout about the same time this guy blew me away with his gyros , makes his own blades and rotor heads any way it was good to talk to him, but i havn't been in contact with him since "Pity" ok that's enough chin wagging fom me today, cheers Tim.

Comment

Working...
                              X