Firebird Wheel Spat possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird Wheel Spat possibility

A couple of pics of some wheel spats that may be possible to use on Firebird. What do you reckon[?]Image Insert: 58.54 KBImage Insert: 65 KBImage Insert: 63.89 KBImage Insert: 80.86 KBThe blue walled room in the back of this pic is the one we will use for the Victorian TA's course the last weekend in April.Pete, that is where you will be sleeping[:X]watch out for Sam.Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Hey Paul if you got a couple spare to bring up to the nats i'll take em off ya hands look good on the side of mine..Email me about a price, if you can do it...I like the look of the suspension system to, abit like mine also, and if they work like mine does it WILL be a winner, mine is so smooth over rough ground, its hard to believe,1" corrigations, with dirty great rocks all over the place, in a road is no probs...Markr0t0rcraft.com.au

Comment

Hey Paul if you got a couple spare to bring up to the nats i'll take em off ya hands look good on the side of mine..Email me about a price, if you can do it...I like the look of the suspension system to, abit like mine also, and if they work like mine does it WILL be a winner, mine is so smooth over rough ground, its hard to believe,1" corrigations, with dirty great rocks all over the place, in a road is no probs...Markr0t0rcraft.com.au

Comment

The spats look good. Wish I had bought them now. Is that the suspension you are intending to use on the Firebird Paul?PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

The spats look good. Wish I had bought them now. Is that the suspension you are intending to use on the Firebird Paul?PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Paul,Is there any reason they don't sit down lower on the tyre or is that just because you're doing a mock up? From what I recall of other machines the spat radius is about 1" clear at the top of the tyre, , so there is about 2 ~ 3" of tyre hanging out of the bottom of the spat - more streamlined that way. I'm sure when you've fitted them up they will look tres' sexy.On your cheek plates - it looks to me by all those spots on them that you are going to rivet them similar to how you did Ross Bannerman's machine, no doubt you've got redundant bolting as well?Nice to see you've gone for redundancy in your axle support frames, though they are 2x1? doubles, what stops them from twisting in torsion when you strike a bump as you travel forwards, eg, a 2" rock or a rut? By this I am asking if they are tied together so they can't shear relative to each other. I suggest they should be bolted to the composite component at four points if they are not already, probably they are but you just haven't put the bolts in so you can get your demo together, crush plates would also be required inside the RHS and under the composite as this component will take a hammering, no doubt you've thought of it too. The centre clamping plate for same is a good idea, so you can move the mains about to suit the COG, however, it may allow the suspension to skew and will need some bracing to make sure the mains remain perpendicular to the frame, lest you get crossed up on landing, it could happen on landing if you hit a rock or pot hole, one moment you're going straight, next you're going sideways, easy to fix in the air, not so good on the ground, prime oppo for a rollover...Trusting this helps,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Paul,Is there any reason they don't sit down lower on the tyre or is that just because you're doing a mock up? From what I recall of other machines the spat radius is about 1" clear at the top of the tyre, , so there is about 2 ~ 3" of tyre hanging out of the bottom of the spat - more streamlined that way. I'm sure when you've fitted them up they will look tres' sexy.On your cheek plates - it looks to me by all those spots on them that you are going to rivet them similar to how you did Ross Bannerman's machine, no doubt you've got redundant bolting as well?Nice to see you've gone for redundancy in your axle support frames, though they are 2x1? doubles, what stops them from twisting in torsion when you strike a bump as you travel forwards, eg, a 2" rock or a rut? By this I am asking if they are tied together so they can't shear relative to each other. I suggest they should be bolted to the composite component at four points if they are not already, probably they are but you just haven't put the bolts in so you can get your demo together, crush plates would also be required inside the RHS and under the composite as this component will take a hammering, no doubt you've thought of it too. The centre clamping plate for same is a good idea, so you can move the mains about to suit the COG, however, it may allow the suspension to skew and will need some bracing to make sure the mains remain perpendicular to the frame, lest you get crossed up on landing, it could happen on landing if you hit a rock or pot hole, one moment you're going straight, next you're going sideways, easy to fix in the air, not so good on the ground, prime oppo for a rollover...Trusting this helps,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Paul, yes, they look good but just a bit lower please. Not much good for a mustering machine though Bones, Thats a very good report and I have to say there's many times when I wished I had a better suspension. It looks good and obviously, the weight is right too ?Nick, whats this crossed up stuff ?? If you get bounced up, just correct the whatever and have fun !BrianPooncarie NSW

Comment

Paul, yes, they look good but just a bit lower please. Not much good for a mustering machine though Bones, Thats a very good report and I have to say there's many times when I wished I had a better suspension. It looks good and obviously, the weight is right too ?Nick, whats this crossed up stuff ?? If you get bounced up, just correct the whatever and have fun !BrianPooncarie NSW

Comment

Brian,What I mean is that the axle support - the 2 off 2 x 1 RHS as they are bolted could twist relative to the frame, meaning the mains could track out of parallel to the keel on plan, if they were able to rotate relative to the keel on plan by up to 15 degrees this could mean a disasterous sideways track on landing and no way to compensate with rudder or steerage, certain roll over material. I expect that Paul has bolted it in this fashion just as a mock up and will have a triangulating brace to the members to remove any chance of it happening. If it remained as is I would warn most vehemently against such an arrangement, it has to be triangulated for certainty in tracking under adverse conditions.Cheers,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Brian,What I mean is that the axle support - the 2 off 2 x 1 RHS as they are bolted could twist relative to the frame, meaning the mains could track out of parallel to the keel on plan, if they were able to rotate relative to the keel on plan by up to 15 degrees this could mean a disasterous sideways track on landing and no way to compensate with rudder or steerage, certain roll over material. I expect that Paul has bolted it in this fashion just as a mock up and will have a triangulating brace to the members to remove any chance of it happening. If it remained as is I would warn most vehemently against such an arrangement, it has to be triangulated for certainty in tracking under adverse conditions.Cheers,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Ah huh, I got you now Nick and yes, I can see what you mean although I reckon its just a mock up. although, it might well be more solid than it looks.BrianPooncarie NSW

Comment

Ah huh, I got you now Nick and yes, I can see what you mean although I reckon its just a mock up. although, it might well be more solid than it looks.BrianPooncarie NSW

Comment

quote:Originally posted by NiqueNaquePaul,Is there any reason they don't sit down lower on the tyre or is that just because you're doing a mock up? From what I recall of other machines the spat radius is about 1" clear at the top of the tyre, , so there is about 2 ~ 3" of tyre hanging out of the bottom of the spat - more streamlined that way. I'm sure when you've fitted them up they will look tres' sexy.On your cheek plates - it looks to me by all those spots on them that you are going to rivet them similar to how you did Ross Bannerman's machine, no doubt you've got redundant bolting as well?Nice to see you've gone for redundancy in your axle support frames, though they are 2x1? doubles, what stops them from twisting in torsion when you strike a bump as you travel forwards, eg, a 2" rock or a rut? By this I am asking if they are tied together so they can't shear relative to each other. I suggest they should be bolted to the composite component at four points if they are not already, probably they are but you just haven't put the bolts in so you can get your demo together, crush plates would also be required inside the RHS and under the composite as this component will take a hammering, no doubt you've thought of it too. The centre clamping plate for same is a good idea, so you can move the mains about to suit the COG, however, it may allow the suspension to skew and will need some bracing to make sure the mains remain perpendicular to the frame, lest you get crossed up on landing, it could happen on landing if you hit a rock or pot hole, one moment you're going straight, next you're going sideways, easy to fix in the air, not so good on the ground, prime oppo for a rollover...Trusting this helps,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for youHey Nick, are you trying to teach me to suck eggs[?] I am about 2, no make that 20 steps ahead of you.[:0]Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by NiqueNaquePaul,Is there any reason they don't sit down lower on the tyre or is that just because you're doing a mock up? From what I recall of other machines the spat radius is about 1" clear at the top of the tyre, , so there is about 2 ~ 3" of tyre hanging out of the bottom of the spat - more streamlined that way. I'm sure when you've fitted them up they will look tres' sexy.On your cheek plates - it looks to me by all those spots on them that you are going to rivet them similar to how you did Ross Bannerman's machine, no doubt you've got redundant bolting as well?Nice to see you've gone for redundancy in your axle support frames, though they are 2x1? doubles, what stops them from twisting in torsion when you strike a bump as you travel forwards, eg, a 2" rock or a rut? By this I am asking if they are tied together so they can't shear relative to each other. I suggest they should be bolted to the composite component at four points if they are not already, probably they are but you just haven't put the bolts in so you can get your demo together, crush plates would also be required inside the RHS and under the composite as this component will take a hammering, no doubt you've thought of it too. The centre clamping plate for same is a good idea, so you can move the mains about to suit the COG, however, it may allow the suspension to skew and will need some bracing to make sure the mains remain perpendicular to the frame, lest you get crossed up on landing, it could happen on landing if you hit a rock or pot hole, one moment you're going straight, next you're going sideways, easy to fix in the air, not so good on the ground, prime oppo for a rollover...Trusting this helps,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for youHey Nick, are you trying to teach me to suck eggs[?] I am about 2, no make that 20 steps ahead of you.[:0]Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Working...
                              X