Double amputee Solo in RAF 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double amputee Solo in RAF 2000

The Raf is stock standard outside. http://vimeo.com/m/103647777An example of what can be achieved with proper training.

Probably not a stock standard RAF, I think.Good work by the pilot, though.

Comment

Congrats to the pilot, well done.... a bit "stabby" with the stick, but hours and experience will fix that ;D

Comment

The Raf is stock standard and only modifications are to the controls.Flight took place at Raf head office Upington airport South Africa.

Comment

No stabilator then,

Comment

No horizontal stab in the tail only the stock standard stabilator on the mast.

Comment

A stock RAF? Wow, no wonder he was stabbing at the stick..... very well done indeed.... a bit irresponsible on behalf of whoever owns the machine?

Comment

A stock RAF? Wow, no wonder he was stabbing at the stick..... very well done indeed.... a bit irresponsible on behalf of whoever owns the machine? now now

Comment

Hi MurrayRaf have the lowest fatality rates of all the gyro types in South Africa. Only one in ten years and the coroner have ruled the pilot have suffered a massive heart attack. All RAF’s STOCK STANDARD. The training is of the highest level with two instructors that clocked up over 2000 hours training. The video of the solo and most of the training are conducted at Upington international airport, that is renowned for turbulent conditions and with maximum temperatures of more than 40 degrees recorded

Comment

That"s great Tbird, again, congrats to the new pilot, he did an awesome jobwell done

Comment

What is commonly referred to as a "STOCK" RAF2000 does not have either a stabiliser or stabilator.The South African RAF2000s all seem to have a stabilator fitted, which, thus far, seems to be an improvementon the original "stock" machine.I would not labour this point except that the original post seemed to suggest that this was a true "stock" machine, which it isn"t,and that sufficient training was the fix, which it isn"t.If there is a difference to the SA accident rate from the previous deplorable carnage, and it appears there is, then the difference is almostcertainly down to the stabilator.

Comment

Training is intense, pilots do about 50 hours before they go solo.

Comment

Interesting, and probably a good idea.Any idea of average hours to license ?

Comment

I don"t know if it changed but you needed 15 hours solo time and 5 hours nav.You can easily add 20 hours to that number for a license.

Comment

Hello all,I"ve been quietly reading but not posting, lest I be accused of hijacking a thread with my long discursive posts.A double amputee soloing so well is impressive and should be applauded. He could do that in no better place, with Upington (I think) being the longest runway on the African continent. The instructors are reportedly all highly competent and dedicated, and ab-initio students reportedly can"t expect being given a license much under 50 hours.BUT - why aviate in an obsolete design with a history of PPO incidents; a design permanently subject to very severe operational restrictions in the UK; and a design that has had an oddball partial band-aid "fix" (the mast-mounted stabilator) that obscures and masks its poor handling characteristics?

Comment

Working...
                              X