No announcement yet.

Anything that Flies Weekend 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the rule of keeping Australia on the right still hold true when flying to the west away from the coast Fred or would I have to find the GPS too? You haven't come across that either have you?Pete

Comment

There is a pvt strip near Stawell and one belonging to an ASRA member approx 2 km up the Pinnaroo road. I may not have my licenced airport approval at that time. Chum is a goer. I just have to get a machine going and legal!!!! The easiest one is a 503 open framer with a 45 liter seat tank, BUT would I lower myself to fly it to Lameroo!!!!!!What I really need is a legal two seater to carry some gear for us, as I can fly solo in a two seater after Jan 1st. The trouble is there is basically no one to sign machines off these days. Two seaters have to be signes off every year on Jan 1st. These rules are starting to crush the ability to remain legal for the average member.Aussie Paul. []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Peter Bradley said: "Does the rule of keeping Australia on the right still hold true when flying to the west away from the coast Fred or would I have to find the GPS too? You haven't come across that either have you?Pete"Pete,If the blue bit is on the left and the green/brown bit is on the right, you are either headed in the right directection OR you are flying right side down. Don't recall having seen the GPS. If its a big white thing with "Kelvinator" written on the front, I think I saw it in my shed. We'll check it out next time you're over.

Comment

I fiddled around with the Sentient Flight Planner and put in Sam'sroute. Took about 15 minutes.I dont have specs for his Gyro so I used the little Magni.I didn't put in any wind figures but if I had it would automaticalycalculate. Everything that comes up can be printed out. You canprint out each section of the plan on the WAC chart, in A4 andcolour, along with all of the radio frequencies along the route.If this was a FW flight the plan could be downloaded to the GPS,the autopilot (coupled to the GPS) engaged, and bobs yer cousin,You can take it easy, drink coffee or read a Phantom comic,ehImage Insert: 32.56

Comment

Note the fuel status upon landing at Lamaroo ?That info was available while I was creating the plan, so I could have re arranged my stops to have a safety margin !I like this sort of software, its just so easy.Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

Great stuff Robert.Aussie Paul []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Paul, answering your post on the 16/12/05Quote =

Comment

Weather permitting, looks like we will be flying to Lameroo.Currently I will be joined by 3 gyro's and 2 trikes.few more to still to confirm.Looking forward to this trip and joining Kevin and all the boys in SA.Regards Sam []

Comment

Not sure if we can get there BUT I can tell you that there is a great bakery at Pinneroo township that we can vouch for. He even makes his own finger buns !!Brian

Comment

BrianDuring our trip we will be by-passing Pinneroo, but if it's that good, then maybe we can fly over one morning, and just drop in !!!!!!!!!!!!!Regards Sam.[]

Comment

Sam, make sure you arent at max takeoff weight at Lameroo cause you will be well overweight after the bakery stop !!! Brian

Comment

Mmmm, can't miss a bakery trip. I'll have to use Avgas that trip.

Comment

Went flying Sunday with a couple of the boys, in 32 degree and 20 knot gusting winds.Flew from Trawalla to almost Ararat, and the conditions were very interesting.I recently fitted a new pod with the addition of a VSI and to see it hit 1600ft per minute with cruize power,then idle, and go from 2000 to 4500ft in a mater of minutes, but then sink back at 800ft/p/m down to 1500 ft was very un-motivating, cosidering our trips most likley weather will be very similar.To add to this, I purposley put 70 lt of fuel in my machine to test it, in such conditions.I beleive it was a combination of thermal and wave activity, as a few km to our north was Ben Nevis,a 3700ft mountain range. Anyhow, we can only hope we get some good flying weather on the days.Below is a pic of a wind farm just south of Ben Nevis.Regards Sam.Image Insert: 70.08

Comment

Well Done Sam. Great research and planning. I can see I'd get lost though with no water on the left to help keep me bearings.Pete

Comment

Pete what do you mean, there is water, its only 80 nautical miles to my far, far, far, far, left !!!!! []If it helps ease your nerves, then I will bring my water bottle and fly with it on your port side.Regards Sam.

Comment

Working...
                                X