Affiliated Clubs Insurance fees.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affiliated Clubs Insurance fees.

Very well put Jeff. Exactly WHAT do we get for our money and WHY should clubs have to pay when all their flying members are already ASRA members??? Seems a bit like double dipping to me..

Comment

Woz, i thought this would be a rather hot topic but it seems i was wrong.Everyone else must just be happy to sit back and PAY, PAY, PAY. Where will it end? I got out of GA because of the costs, I fly for fun but at what cost.It worries me where all this will end!!

Comment

Seconded J Evans. These Clubs will receive quarterly Gyro News magazines. Registrar to advise Clubs.Jeff H-S

Comment

Guys,I can probably add some clarity around this as I asked ASRA if my club the WA Superlight Aircraft Club of WA (SLAC of WA)could become ASRA affiliated, I wanted to do this as our basic public liability insurance was going through the roof as well as a desire to be affiliated with each organisation that represents the aircraft type that makes up our 24 aircraft based at Bindoon.The answer was yes but when the club was added to the ASRA Insurance policy (public liability cover for club officials and the odd meeting only) ASRA got stung for an additional $371 to which my club was happy to pay in the first year. This was much less than our current costs for less coverage!. This also highlighted the fact that ASRA had not been collecting any fees to off set this cost according to ASRA records. My club commitee asked ASRA at the last Board meeting what the annual fee was going to be as it was clear that ASRA needed to allow for increased costs as more clubs come on line when they find out that the coverage ASRA provides although basic is very good value for money.The Board in its wisdom levied the modest cost of $40 per year!per club to offset some of the cost. The SLAC of WA could not believe it was so cheap.Guys if you can get this coverage plus a mag for the clubroom at better than $40 let me know!If any of you want further details I suggest you ask any of the ASRA Board members as the forum is not always the best way to communcate if you have a question. Hopefully this answers the question as to how well your ASRA Board looks after your interests, guys as someone that also deals with all of the other Sport Aviation associations in AustI can assure you that ASRA fees are the cheapest by far and provide excellent value for money.Regarding the wider Gyro insurance question Doc Evans called for expressions of interest from individuals who wanted to contribute to a insurance pool, the response was dismal , clearly not enough ($25000) required to get an insurer to think about providing cover for gyro's. This expresion of interest was published in a several editions of Gyro News. Unfortunatly anecdotal evidence confirms that members do not always have the time or inclination to read our mag from front to back.If any of the membership want further clarfication on this please dont hesitate to call me or one of the other Board members.Thanks,Adrian.Adrian STOFFELSASRA Board Member & Technical AdvisorPresidentSuper Light Aircraft Club of WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeffHere is the part of the minutes that will appear in the next Gyro News.1. From 1 July 2005, payment of $40 for 6 months to December 2005 is to be paid, and sent to Registrar with a completed Membership Application form. [red] [black]Jeff H-S

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Adrian SThe Board in its wisdom levied the modest cost of $40 per year!per club to offset some of the cost. The SLAC of WA could not believe it was so cheap.Adrian STOFFELSASRA Board Member & Technical AdvisorPresidentSuper Light Aircraft Club of WA

Comment

Comment

"liability problem"Geez, wouldn't the world be a much better place to live, like the old days, if you didn't have to worry bout some pathetic f$%#@wit sue'n you for his own clumsyness.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.Ingratitude stinks.......be generous carefully.

Comment

Thanks Tim and Adrian.I appreciate your comments and explanation, it all makes sense. But! What happens to the rest of the members of ASRA and where they choose to fly? Will they have some form of cover as well?It's not the cost of the insurance, but is it selective and does it only apply to Clubs and their members or would everyone be required to be a Club member to attain coverage.As a club (The Sydney Gyro Club) we did go it alone as that was forced upon us so we could have the privelage of flying at Rylstone. The type of insurance only covered us for what is refered to as Airfield and Hangers Liability Cover, which only covered us against litigation if someone injured themselves on the ground at the Airfield and did not apply to any activities pertaining to Flying or operating a Gyro.So if anyone were to be injured by a Gyro during it's operations, that Gyro operator was on his own and had no recompense. We need to consider all aspects of insurance so that all members of ASRA can be lndemnified or covered and not just the individual Clubs and their Members and if that were or is possible, then why single out the Clubs to fork out extra fees, or would it mean that only the members of a Regional Club would be covered by the fees suggested by ASRA.Jeff H-S

Comment

Comment

Another few questions that need to be asked of ASRA,1, How many of the financial members of the WA Superlight Aircraft Club are actually financial members of ASRA. 2, If only 1 or 2 then why is ASRA taking on these clubs as affiliated clubs if they are only getting 1 or 2 membership fees and a huge jump in insurance premium.3, What will happen to the insurance premium when more and more clubs hear about this cheaper and better insurance according to Adrian Stoffels?4, How many clubs are ASRA going to let become affiliated and at what price?5, ASRA i thought stood for Australian Sport ROTORCRAFT Club.Why are they affiliating clubs that are primarily not rotorcraft clubs.Maybe we should be changing the name to "Australian sport rotorcraft and anything else that flies and needs cheap insurance club".Seems to me that would be more appropriate..And finally,6, Why is there no mention of insurance costs in the Audit Report that was sent with the last gyro news, did we or did we not have insurance last year????A reply to these questions from any member of the ASRA board would be appreciated.

Comment

Marty,Regarding your questions re the Superlight Aircraft Club of WA, the club currently has more than 30% of its membership that are also financial members of ASRA but what is more important is the fact that Bindoon is a private strip managed by the Superlight Aircraft Club on behalf of the owners - no one is permitted to fly from this strip unless they are members of SLAC and their respective sport body. This is the closest gyro friendly club/strip to Perth. Also more than 50% of the active aircraft are gyro's, I would suggest that this is pretty good odds.Also we have found that the best way to get the message out to other aviators and potential aviators about the benefits of Gyro's is to join them not push them away.We currently have 12 gyro's actively flying here all paid up members and the number is growing! There is a large number of guys that fly both fixed wing and rotary.The other positive is that the greater the variation in aircraft and coresponding club members the better ammunition you have in fighting people that try to close you down. Affiliation with ASRA is about supporting ASRA and GYRO pilots, the same situation is in place for other members of SLAC WA that fly non gyro's and its affiliation with the other sport bodies. Another factor is the SLAC President is also a ASRA Board Member who exits to support fellow gyro pilots no matter what club they belong to. Hope that answers some of your questions.Regards,Adrian.Adrian StoffelsTechnical Manager & ASRA Board member0427094552

Comment

If current financial ASRA members are also current financial members of affiliated State or Territiroy Clubs and the ASRA is asking for a Club payment from the State and Territory members (Clubs), would this not be construed as double dipping???? Anyone willing to answer this one????Copthelot

Comment

Copthelot, In the past the insurance covered only the members of the ASRA Board in the execution of their administrative duties (compulsory insurance under Associations incorporation Act) It did not cover the individual ASRA members or affiliated Clubs. It is now being offered to extend to affiliated clubs to cover their office bearers if they so desire, but the premium is more expensive. I think the club payment you refer to is for this insurance. It is up to the clubs if they wish to take up the offer or not.Tim McClure

Comment

Working...
                              X